Potato cutter for a variety of fries and hash browns

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Do any of you fine folks use one of these devices, and do you have food for thought? https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GXJCQAE/tvwb-20

We bake fries fairly often and do hash browns in a skillet but almost always start with a frozen variety. I'm pondering the value of one of these. They are advertised as effective for other items, too, but I only see myself using one on potatoes. Thx.

Last edited:
Actually if you do a lot of potatoes like this those cutters make good sense. I love my knives (I have way too many) but if I made lots of fries or hash what have you I would definitely buy one. No matter how skilled with a knife it is slow going when you need to do a lot of them

It looks well made and for $130 it should last a lifetime. My Dad had one similar he got from a restaurant rehab and that worked great for fries and also Kuegla. ( a Lithuanian dish similar to hash browns )
I bought one of those "similar" ones for $25 and it worked ok for russets but I bent the handle when trying sweet potato fries.
Zucchini, turnip or rutabaga fries are also good and so are carrots.

Tim

Larry, you and I are in the same boat! I started adding up the knife “investment” and had to stop!
I think I would have to cut a lot of fries to justify a dedicated cutter for $130 but, if you have storage space and would really use it? I say dive right in there!

However, WE WILL expect a full report as soon as you have done two pounds of fries, a like number of sweet potatoes and maybe something really “resistant” like a rutabaga.
I’ve never fried rutabaga, my grandmother used to boil it.

Check out a restaurant supply place. You'll get one that will last long enough for less money.

Larry, you and I are in the same boat! I started adding up the knife “investment” and had to stop!
I think I would have to cut a lot of fries to justify a dedicated cutter for $130 but, if you have storage space and would really use it? I say dive right in there!

However, WE WILL expect a full report as soon as you have done two pounds of fries, a like number of sweet potatoes and maybe something really “resistant” like a rutabaga.
I’ve never fried rutabaga, my grandmother used to boil it.

That is the issue. I would never do 2lbs of fries LOL. If I did them on a regular basis though I would invest in a good fry cutter. For the very few fried potatoes I'll struggle with knives

I have cut 25# of sweet potato fries and 30# of russets for a party two times, TWO times, I don’t ever expect to do that again but, if I did, one of those would be great. But, I’m not buying one for “If” I ever do a party like that.

I hear ya. But I know people who make tons of potatoes nearly every evening and for them it would be a great time saver (but than again) perhaps they should adjust their eating habits as it really shows (if you get my drift LOL)

Familiar with the saying "forgiveness is easier than permission"? Today, I mounted it on the kitchen wall. She noticed it before greeting me. She is not extremely happy :rolleyes:

Well, get frying! Do something,that will make her happy three days running and you might still have a “cooler” treatment from her but, she might start to see your zeal!

lol. Good food for thought, TFL. Fortunately for me she is not one to hold grudges nor stay mad. She'll speak her mind and then I'm free until the next misstep. I prepare at least half the family meals, so that should help :)

LOL! The hash browns that I did a few days ago came from the frozen section and I did them in the electric skillet. I bought the cutter in September but was not in the mood on this particular weeknight to drag it out of being buried in the cabinet to use. So I was feeling motivated yesterday and mounter her. On other occasions it has worked very well for hash browns but thus far I've cut wedges more often than doing hash browns.

Back