Happy Labor Day- What are you grilling?

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
Have a good holiday everybody.

Firing up the 1000, steaks and a pork tenderloin with my wife doing blackened shrimp in her 70 year old grandmothers cast iron skillet. Best friends coming over enjoy the pool and my daughter and her fiance coming also. Great family day youngest down in Auburn she had to work at the hospital today.

Just Cheeseburgers for me. I had some Pork Tenderloin K-bobs last night though.

YqtkpQZ.jpg

DsRXzig.jpg

Got the point from the smoke day brisket in the mini for burnt ends, first time making them.
Barb will be making Jim Lampe's high heat baby backs on the performer later this afternoon. Corn on the bone and Barbs homemade potato salad as sides.
Enjoy the day.

Doing chicken. Picked up a whole one not sure if I will cut it up, spatchcock it or try it whole on the Q320. It will be getting done with fresh sweetcorn from a local farm here in Cherry valley, mushrooms and maybe some green beans. Jury is out on how much I can fit into that Q at one time. I have the Genesis 2000 in the garage too but I just bought another lawn tractor Saturday and I can't fit it in the back garage because with the giant Simplicity Sovereign I just bought this spring in there and the boat it's no bueno. I bought WAY overkill with that Sovereign. So wife has hard time handling it so we bought the Honda 4514 too. Nice little liquid cooled 2 banger (looks like half a civic engine) so the little Honda is in main garage, 1 car and still all the stuff from late brother in law. Hard to move the Genesis into position. So that Q has been getting pressed into lots of duty thanks to the monsoons we've been getting and still are
1200 lbs of muscle
TOY6XUS.jpg

s3oH3kE.jpg

Little Honda. Half the weight about 2/3 the size but wife likes it
Ome9nCt.jpg

2SegmoK.jpg

3V1BZZI.jpg

The Flooding
IKALUyV.jpg

vi2nPwy.jpg

Larry:
Break out the Genesis and christen that new rotisserie you got from me for that chicken. I just did one two days ago.

Start:
8HRtWbT.jpg

One hour later:
0a2gupO.jpg

Two hours later:
1iNdDnT.jpg

Two and half hours and she is all done:
gtmPutO.jpg

Time to eat:
t3SyCvM.jpg

Looks like we have a window of opportunity. I may just break out the Wolf instead. I can do everything at once in that monster. But my lock even though sun is shining now dark clouds will come over me as soon as the thing is up to temp :eek: Story of my life LOL. Kinda like the SCHMOO from Lil Abner (now I have REALLY dated myself)

That sounds like a beautiful feast, Brian B. Today, I did a ridiculously low-keyed cook. Hamburgers on a griddle for decent crust (but not smash burgers), hot dogs on a grill (for 4 young visitors), a single chicken breast for one visiting fam member, and IP Mac & cheese while others led with sides and desserts. But in my defense I smoke and grill year-round.

I finally got around to doing some steaks on my refurbed Genesis since the in-laws came over for dinner. I couldn't believe how much better the Genesis did on the steaks compared to my older non Weber grills.

7BURk7W.jpg

Dave, you are so right. These older Genesis grills are hard to beat. Those NY Strips look delicious.

And look at that all without gimmicky products :D OK I can be slapped now LOL
Bruce I took your advice and I moved the Genesis 2000 out. BTW I do need to get casters for it :(
Ra6Ci9l.jpg

OK I forgot just how hot the Genesis can get. I have not cooked on it since I got the Q320. I guess my chicken will have just a little extra "flavor" :D Sorry about the orange hat in the photo. When I go out for my walks or bike ride it's what protects my little bald head from the sun

o7VoN9h.jpg

6iQI5BN.jpg

So far, a couple steaks and a few pork chops. They are done and everyone is inside eating the sides my better half made. I'm typing this out back because I just put the party wings/legs on. I have a cold one next to me and I'm relaxing for the first time today. Relaxing because I put a chunk of hickory on the flarorizer bars and turned the grill down. My intention is to kinda smoke the party wings/legs. I'm not sure how that will work, just experimenting.

I was wrong. I am not just sitting around relaxing yet. In the last hour several things have required my attention. That's not a bad thing, that's just the family was still up and active. On that note it's a good thing I'm trying to do a lower slower cook. Otherwise those chicken wings and legs would be toast.

Well I had forgotten just how wonderful a rotisserie chicken is on the old school Genesis. It was beyond good it was outrageous! Skin was crispy and well rendered and the meat was juicy and nice (even the breast). I would say the only "mistake" I made was one of convenience. I forgot to remove the wish bone prior to cooking the bird which I always do to make the finished bird easier to carve

Larry, I have never heard of removing the wish bone before cooking. That sucker always does get in the way when carving slabs off the breast. Is there a trick to removing it before cooking without tearing up the bird?

This is a late post but I grilled butterfly pork chops for the wife and i. I really like those and they are always a great value meat to grill.

We trialed a new seasoning. "One and done". Has anyone else used it? We liked it but the wife did the prep this time and used a very liberal amount of this seasoning.

She did this not knowing the seasoning has cayenne as one of the ingredients. So the chops ended up being a little too hot for my tastes. LOL. Not inedible though and still a good labor day meal.

Larry, I have never heard of removing the wish bone before cooking. That sucker always does get in the way when carving slabs off the breast. Is there a trick to removing it before cooking without tearing up the bird?

Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0WOllw8Xzk this is not the same technique I use but close. You won't believe how nice it is to cook and carve a whole chicken prepped like that. Sadly I forget and once cooked it's a PIA

This is a late post but I grilled butterfly pork chops for the wife and i. I really like those and they are always a great value meat to grill.

We trialed a new seasoning. "One and done". Has anyone else used it? We liked it but the wife did the prep this time and used a very liberal amount of this seasoning.

She did this not knowing the seasoning has cayenne as one of the ingredients. So the chops ended up being a little too hot for my tastes. LOL. Not inedible though and still a good labor day meal.

Greg, where did you buy that its on Amazon I wonder if any of the chains have that. Cayenne I use on a lot of things yes you do need to be a bit careful with it.

Back