Stove Bright Charcoal Paint on a 2005 Genesis Platinum (Grey Firebox)

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
So, I finally put some time aside this weekend to finally finish my 2005 Genesis Platinum. A local shop carries the Stove Bright paints, and I decided to try it. Since many of us have bene wondering how the Stove Bright paints match up, I decided to paint the firebox and take some pictures of the painted firebox with the lid featuring the original paint. I used Stove Bright Charcoal.

Overall, I am pretty happy. It's definitely darker (as shown in the photos), although the contrast isn't as striking in person. The paint does have a little bit of metallic coloring in it. It sprays well and lays evenly, although after painting the whole firebox and lid I don't have much paint left in the can.

I will post pictures of the completed grill soon. In the meantime, here are the pictures showing the color differences:

OqrZMs7b.jpg

lLbvHUSb.jpg

mc2xR6pb.jpg

opT8F8Lb.jpg

JazGaUub.jpg

Erik,
Thanks for posting about Stove Bright paint. I have been very curious about it. You are fortunate to have a local retailer, although I am sure it is still kind of pricey. The charcoal gray looks like the right choice for the Platinum; look forward to seeing it come together.

They have another shade of gray with some brown in it. I would love to compare it to what Weber uses on the Genesis 300 grills. Everything off the shelf I have tried is too light and has a blue tint instead of a brown tint like Weber used.

I have a can of the charcoal as well. I was going to use it on an E320 but the paint took too long to arrive, so I went with the Rusto Ultra HH.

I am thinking maybe I will use it on my Skyline for the end caps. I will still probably go with the Rusto HH matte on the firebox.

Greetings,
I'm just starting on a restoration for a Genesis 3 burner Redhead. Would charcoal be the right color?
I'm also looking for the swing out table parts so I can add one.
Thanks

It is tough to find the Swing table and parts. You will likely have to find them on a donor grill. That is your best bet. Otherwise, you might be able to find someone on here that is willing to part with the table and parts. If you find them on line, they will probably cost a lot.

I suggest you use Rustoleum High Heat Ultra (Satin finish) or Rustoleum regular High heat (matte). They are readily available and are what most of the rehabbers here use. The charcoal would probably work fine, but it is expensive and harder to come by.

Most seem to prefer the matte on the fire box and satin on the end caps.

This is a grill I recently did with Rustoleum: https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-genesis-1000-redhead/6687968371.html

Welcome Jim,

I assume you are talking about the older, classic Genesis grills. If so, the sides of the hood should be painted satin/semigloss black. Some of us like that on the firebox as well. Others prefer to use flat black on that, which is closer to how Weber did them back then.

Here is one of my grills with semigloss black sides on the hood and the same semigloss on the firebox:

2u9jscm.jpg

Here is an unrestored Genesis 1000. You can still see that the side pieces were gloss while the firebox was flat:

2ic8raf.jpg

The frame should be semi gloss black. You need to use high-heat paint on the upper part of the frame near the fire box. For the legs and bottom you can use regular black paint such as Rustoleum 2X or maybe one of the new Krylon paints.

All I said is based on the idea you want your grill to look like a classic Weber. There is nothing to stop you from doing your own thing. It's your grill! If you are doing a restoration for resale, I would suggest staying close to original.

Best wishes! Post some pictures for us!

Jon

Last edited:
Yah, be careful, if you do what Jon says, your grill might turn out like that Skyline above. :eek: :) ;) :cool:

Back