Trouble getting up to temp.

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
Hi guys, been a while since I posted anything but I have a problem. I have an 18 inch WSM. The last two cooks I have had trouble getting The WSM Up to temperature. I filled the ring 3/4 full of charcoal can’t about 20 coals from the chimney. It’s been almost 2 hours The vents have been running wide open and the temperature is only 172. I also added about 20 more calls from the chimney after an hour. Any ideas. It’s A rainy day And the WSM is under the carport. Thanks in advance for any help.

Take the lid and door off for a few minutes. But watch it - it might take off on you.

Thanks. Just after IPosted my problem the temp jumped to 225 now holding 226 after adjusting the vents.

Yea, that lid thermo is known to be off. You do need a more reliable way to measure temps: ET732, 733, and other makes.

BUT when you're done with this smoke, test it. Undo the bolt, put the probe (NOT the whole unit) in ice water (read 32o ) put in boiling water (212o).

If the higher (or lower for that matter) is off by say 10o (202o) when in boiling water for example, just add 10o to whatever it reads when in use. So if it's reading 190o, you know it's REALLY 200o.

Etc.

I had the very same issue on Saturday! Both thermometer (probe on grate or one in the vent) readings agreed but they were miserably low. I’m glad I started early as I had! Dinner turned out quite well albeit later than I’d wanted. Bark was not “barky” but delicious.
It simply never got above 260, added more hot coals, left the door off but, maybe not long enough.
Live and learn!

Back