Who likes small butts?

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
A neighbor just dropped off a 3-lb 14-oz pork butt that we plan to smoke and share over the weekend. I usually smoke 6 to 8-pounders, so I'm scratching my beard about what to do with this one. It's still frozen in cryovac, so I can't see it all, but it appears to be well trimmed and bone in. It's about 5" x 8" x 3-1/2", so it seems to be a full butt cut in half. I usually cook butts at 250-275 overnight, but wonder if this is a daytime cook.

Anybody do one this small? How long did it take?

Jeff

We do small 3 lb boneless butts in the Crock pot, while we are at work. It is a great time saver and is a good "hold over" until I can cook one in the smoker.

Ryan

I cooked a 3 pounder on the 14.5 and it took over 8 hours at about 240 for pulled pork. Did a 4 pounder at 225 and it took 8.5 hours to get to 176 for sliced pork.

I cooked a 3 pounder on the 14.5 and it took over 8 hours at about 240 for pulled pork. Did a 4 pounder at 225 and it took 8.5 hours to get to 176 for sliced pork.

We'll be pulling it, so it looks like I could do an overnight at 225-250 and it'll be good for lunch the next day, or an early morning cook at 250-275 for dinner, faux Cambro rest included. Thanks, Lew.

Jeff

I cook 1/2 butts fairly often.
On my 14" running 275/285 they usually take around 7 hours.

Whole, bone-in butts are on sale for $1 lb at a local store, looked through the case today and only found 9 pounders, i wanted a couple a little smaller, the meat cutter hooked me up with a couple of 7 pounders.

I ended up doing an overnight. Put it in my 18.5" WSM at midnight with the temp at 226. At 6:30 the pit was 238 and the butt at 180. Went back to sleep until 8:00. The pit had jumped to 260 and the butt was at 201. So the 7-8 hour time frame is about right on. It went in at 3 lbs. 14 oz. Came out at 2 lbs. 4 oz. It's about the size of a brick.

Little butt by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Jeff

Back