Looking for a cheap Weber or curbside pickup?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
This is the last week of the summer grilling season for many. Stores will be looking to dump their stock of new grills so they can put out their snow blowers and and other winter merchandise. We may see some good Labor day sales and some real deals in the stores in the next few weeks. That will promote and uptick in sales of new grills which means some old cast offs should be hitting the curb, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Keep your eyes open.

For me, it is going to have to be a pretty awesome and inexpensive deal to get me to bite. I am already trying to figure out where I am going to overwinter the rehab stock I already have.

Good luck everyone.

Lowe’s cleared out some 6 burner grills for cheap! (6 is a little over kill for me. 4 and I would have chased it more.)
Saw a decent older one pop up for $75 but was not sure if flavorizer bars needed replaced.

Fortunately, those of us a little further south do not have such a short season, however, there are still
plenty of folks in my area that will be parting ways with their old grills soon. I made the mistake of waiting
too long last. I also sold off a few items late in the fall, cheaper than I should have, and ended up without
a single grill over the winter. I hope to have somewhere around 15 to 20 by Thanksgiving. That should keep
me busy over the winter, and it would be nice to have plenty on hand, ready to go at the beginning of March.

I am keeping my eyes peeled.
There is a free Genesis at the Cape I am eyeing - not sure if my wife will let me get it.
It appears to be a much larger project than any of the others I have picked up so far - perhaps only a parts grill even, but it has the black knobs on it that I want/need for my Silver B.

I am keeping my eyes peeled.
There is a free Genesis at the Cape I am eyeing - not sure if my wife will let me get it.
It appears to be a much larger project than any of the others I have picked up so far - perhaps only a parts grill even, but it has the black knobs on it that I want/need for my Silver B.

If you rehab grills, you need parts. Having an extra manifold, knobs, lid, cook box, shelves, screws, bolts, control panel, wheels, etc.....

Yah, if you do buy it and it is a "parts grill", best thing to do is part it out right away and get rid of the scrap. It takes up a whole lot less space that way.

Yah, if you do buy it and it is a "parts grill", best thing to do is part it out right away and get rid of the scrap. It takes up a whole lot less space that way.

That would be the plan.

The first thing that I would do is swap the knobs over to my Silver B.

I can't find anywhere to fit a whole grill in the garage or shed (let along 15-20!!), but would definitely raid parts off any I see ... I even put wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers and thick garbage sacks into the back of my car just incase. Maybe if I build a shelf in the shed above the door ... could possibly fit a grill in parts up there ...

I did get a nice Genesis red head lid last weekend that was thrown out. Better condition than the one I have. I'll clean it up and then offer my one if I can find someone who needs one in Salt Lake City area. There may have been more of the grill in the 20' city dumpster, but it would have been under the masses of branches, and I didn't fancy dumpster diving.

That $25 performer looks great for $25. Heck, one without a cart normally goes for $25-50 around here.

One a day would require some work, but also some luck with quick easy flips.
The best I have found yet ...... a guy back in the spring .......
A Traeger Jr in Topeka hit FB MP for $50. I saw it when it was 6 minutes old. Someone beat me
by one minute. Later that night, I see the same grill on CL from a KC suburb, for $250. For sh*ts and giggles
I call the guy. He tells me it is already sold. I question him about it further, and ask if it is indeed the same
grill. He fesses up and says it was. He picked it up in Topeka, posted the ad using the original guys photo,
sold it on his way back to KC and delivered it. $200 profit and it never even made it back to his house.

That's nice. I have considered doing some of those quickie clean up rehabs and resells. But, I just don't fee right selling a grill that is still "dirty". But it sure would be nice to not have to grind out the cook box, clean the lid inside and out and repaint almost everything and still make a good profit.

It depends on how cheap you get it and what you consider "decent" profit. Like you with the grills when I rebuild a mixer I spare nothing. Every piece is checked/replaced if needed, machine is fully cleaned out and sterilized (you never know if pets were in the house and new owner has severe allergy), paint and finish has to be near 100% or the machine is either "scrapped", designated as a charitable give away, or if the potential profit margin is high enough fully refinished (but that is a royal PIA and I typically scrap them for parts). My goal is when you buy a machine from me it is better than if you bought it brand new, because I look for every failure point and address it by making it stronger than before.
Yes it's time consuming and expensive but I have only had one machine failure in about 10 years of doing these and that failure was due (at the customer's own admission) to a severe over load with very heavy dough. I still fixed it for them for free BTW even though it ate up all the profit LOL. But the guy is a GREAT mechanic and does wonderful work on my cars LOL.
Though I do get machines and I look at them and think "I could just clean and flip this" but I just would not feel right.

That would be the plan.

The first thing that I would do is swap the knobs over to my Silver B.

I did end up picking it up - and I did swap the black knobs and igniter button onto my Silver B almost immediately.

It doesn't have any grates and is missing 3 flavorizer bars, but it actually seems to be in good enough condition to possibly flip, depending on what I end up doing with the lower shelf - which is rotted out as so many are.

It will be a decent project I think, for a freebie.

Back