Thread: Holding St. Louis Ribs

Holding St. Louis Ribs

I will be cooking 3 slabs St. Louis cut ribs this weekend and the arrival times of the guests are variable so I can't really predict a start time for dinner. This is not a problem with pork butt or brisket since I can foil and put into a cooler for a few hours and not lose much heat. I have never had to time ribs before. Can I do the same thing for ribs? I'd be careful to let them cool before wrapping because I don't want mushy ribs. How long can I keep in the cooler?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bob A; 08-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I haven't had too much luck holding ribs. I think if you foil them and keep them stacked on each other and wrap them up in towels, they might hold ok.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Probably be OK for an hour or two. A few years ago I did 9 racks of babybacks on my 22 WSM with rib racks, upper and lower. I foiled them and put them in my cooler. I have a Pelican cooler that I specifically bought for butts and briskets and in this case, ribs. Had to clean up and change and a few other things and then drive them across town to the party. By the time we unfoiled and sliced them up they'd been off the smoker close to an hour and a half. The ribs were fine, still plenty warm and everyone enjoyed them. Good luck with your cook!!
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

I've held ribs for a couple of hours in heavy foil and double layer of towels in a cooler. Stacking them, as mentioned above, makes a big difference. If you have to wait longer, there's always the oven for a quick reheat.

Jeff
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but either way the cat's not gonna like it much.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I have foiled as mentioned above and added fire bricks, that I heated in the smoker, to the cooled to maintain the heat. I generally wrap the bricks to avoid damage to the cooler.
    I use this approach when taking ribs to family reunions, which never eat on time
    Smokin and Grillin my way of Chillin
    Genesis EP-320, 18 WSM, 14.5 WSM, Brick Red Performer

You could also just leave them ( I assume your using) in the WSM.
    Shut all vents. While you let the ribs come down to room temp, the WSM will come down enough in temp so when you wrap in foil and put em back in it will act like a faux cambro, and that will stay warm for a few hours.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Freel View Post
    I have foiled as mentioned above and added fire bricks, that I heated in the smoker, to the cooled to maintain the heat. I generally wrap the bricks to avoid damage to the cooler.
    I use this approach when taking ribs to family reunions, which never eat on time
    ďNever on time!Ē
    Boy, ainít that the truth!! I am a firm believer in one will eat when the masses get their collective poop in a group unless the cook pitches a fit! Since Iím the kitchen master, grill maven, beer processing plant, scullery, chauffeur, General slave, I get to pitch the fit when I want rears in chairs!
    I do allow a little flexibility when itís Christmas or Easter and birthdays but, when I start saying put the wagons in a circle, I hope the table is surrounded with hungry kinfolk!
    Of course, thatís when the show is here, when I need to travel, I take cold stuff if I can.
    I will admit the towels in the cooler set up works well for several things, Mac and cheese wrapped and wads of newspaper does well too.
    Other than lighting a chimney itís about all the Kalamazoo Gazette is good for!
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 09-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    You could also just leave them ( I assume your using) in the WSM.
    Shut all vents. While you let the ribs come down to room temp, the WSM will come down enough in temp so when you wrap in foil and put em back in it will act like a faux cambro, and that will stay warm for a few hours.

Tim

Thanks for the responses. I did the above and they turned out fine. There were no leftover ribs.

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    “Never on time!”
    Boy, ain’t that the truth!! I am a firm believer in one will eat when the masses get their collective poop in a group unless the cook pitches a fit! Since I’m the kitchen master, grill maven, beer processing plant, scullery, chauffeur, General slave, I get to pitch the fit when I want rears in chairs!
    I do allow a little flexibility when it’s Christmas or Easter and birthdays but, when I start saying put the wagons in a circle, I hope the table is surrounded with hungry kinfolk!
    Of course, that’s when the show is here, when I need to travel, I take cold stuff if I can.
    I will admit the towels in the cooler set up works well for several things, Mac and cheese wrapped and wads of newspaper does well too.
    Other than lighting a chimney it’s about all the Kalamazoo Gazette is good for!
    I've got an old fashioned cast iron triangle dinner bell that I'm not afraid to use.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2