Brisket Point - High Heat or Low and Slow

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
My go to method for packers is high heat, done it for years, with great success. Smoking my first point only and this weekend and not sure if I should go low and slow or high heat on her.

Anyone do points only have thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Im thinking of doing one this weekend as well and not sure how to do it either? Seems like low and slow is quite the long day when you factor the long rest required. Im going to follow this.

I did one high heat and it turned out OK but not great. I think 275 might be the sweet spot. Too low and the fat doesn't render. Too high and it seems like you lose it all. If you are going for burnt ends I think it will work out high heat, though. I may have just overcooked mine a little because I'm used to paying attention to the flat.

I got one going on tomorrow also. Last brisket I did was whole trimmed. I mean they took all fat. Was first run after gasket kit and could hardly get past 200. Think might of had probe problem also but ended up the most tender one I have made. Leaving water out this time and thinking 225.

She's only 6.5 lbs so even low and slow won't be a long cook. Will be a pool day so we'll be hanging around outside and won't mind an all day long cook. Think I'm going to go 250.

Not doing burnt ends, just serving as is. I eat a keto diet (high fat) so point is perfect!

I'll post my results.

I'd agree with Dustin on the 275 target. The fat should render nicely (if you cook it long enough) and it's not in much danger of drying out.

Jeff

Back