PID values for Weber Smokey Mountain 18' (47cm)

Leonardo

Hi Guys,
does someone have PID values set for WSM 18' (47cm)?

I'm using adapt-a-damper if it may matters

Tnx a lot
L.

here's what I use on my WSM 22.5
B=0; P=4; I=0.02; D=5
Fan pulse; min 0%; max 30%; max at startup
Servo 700 - 2110

tnx.
I think being 18' smaller it should react quicker than 22, so values should be different, but I can start from yours ;)

If you found your best values you may post them here please?
One thing that is ALWAYS missing imho is the position of the TOP valve (the one in the lid). It makes a big difference if you operate your smoker with a fully opened or almost closed valve.
I just bought some new glas fiber gaskets as my WSM has so many air in/outtakes that it's difficult to conrol.

If you found your best values you may post them here please?
One thing that is ALWAYS missing imho is the position of the TOP valve (the one in the lid). It makes a big difference if you operate your smoker with a fully opened or almost closed valve.
I just bought some new glas fiber gaskets as my WSM has so many air in/outtakes that it's difficult to conrol.

my top vent always wide open.

B=0; P=4; I=0.009; D=5
Fan pulse; min 0%; max 50%; max 50%

Adapt a Damper

I’m usually within about a 2-3 deg differential. Fine enough for me!!

No matter my 14, 18, or 22 I use these.

I have gaskets in the lid and the door. No smoke gets out.

Hole cut in side by one of the vents with a 1 inch SS 3 inch straight pipe and angle going straight down into the bottom bowl.

I use 4 coals for the 14, 8 for the 18, and 12 for the 22. Seems like a small amount but I let it come to temp in about 15-30 min depending and it never gets out of control.

I put the coals on one end away from the air intake and line wood along the way. The smoke burns while the coals catch the air on the other side.

This system works so well I can literally put the coals in and put the meat on and leave it for the night. But I always watch it anyway out of paranoia. Haha

Last edited:

Back