Thread: Vortex in WSM

Vortex in WSM

I just bought a 22.5 WSM, and I already had a medium sized Vortex.
    Has anyone used the vortex in the WSM? I'm wondering how to set it up.

TVWBB Pro
    Not sure I get what you're trying to achieve. The vortex is used for obtaining high heat, usually just the opposite of what's needed when using the WSM. Maybe a little more information would be helpful.
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Or are you referring to the “Hunsacker Vortex” two different animals. I am thinking,in general, the same direction as my namesake. If you are talking about the Owens design, I think you want to use that on a kettle not in the WSM. Two different uses of heat.
    As for the Hunsacker, I haven’t a clue.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Sounds like I"m barking up the wrong tree.

Not necessarily, we all want to help but, we need more information from you.

There are a couple of different units called “Vortex” one is the cone designed by Owens the other is a much more intricate design built by a company called Hunsacker. My point is which piece of equipment are you talking about?
    The Hunsacker is designed for use in barrel smokers and some folks have used them in Weber smokers with excellent results.

I don’t think you’re barking up the wrong tree but may have just not barked the wrong question!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Thank you Timothy F. Lewis for the encouragement.

I have the Owen's Vortex, and I was just curious whether anyone found a use for it in the WSM. Otherwise, my Vortex will probably go unused from now on (wings in WSM came just as good as Vortex'd wings).

You may be right, the Owens design is for kettle use. I think unless you eliminate the center section the effect would be fruitless but, I’m not sure.
    If your Vortex is absolutely never going to be used again, just send it to me!

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    There's a youtube channel called phil in florence where he modified his WSM to act more like a kettle. The gist of it was moving the charcoal grate higher so its the same distance from the grate as it would be in a kettle. I think he made a video using a vortex in the WSM that way. You might check it out.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    There's a youtube channel called phil in florence where he modified his WSM to act more like a kettle. The gist of it was moving the charcoal grate higher so its the same distance from the grate as it would be in a kettle. I think he made a video using a vortex in the WSM that way. You might check it out.
    Thanks Dustin ! That’s useful

TVWBB Super Fan
    I also have the medium size Owens Vortex which gets too darn Hot to use on my Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill as it changed the cooking grill to a dark color. It is now gathering a lot of dust as I should have purchased the smaller size Vortex.