Some Scorpions

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
from a plant that I successfully over-wintered this past year ---> 500,000 to 1,500,000 SHU :D
c8tTAMv.jpg

Also have some Carolina Reapers that are still green (about 8-9 of them). Not ready for pics yet though.

What are you planning to do with them? I found a few in my freezer a few days ago..... they looked as bright and as fresh as when I put them in there.

I found a recipe for Blueberry Hot Sauce. It uses 6 of those puppies and 2 cups of blueberries (among some other stuff). Don't know that I can handle 6 so I'm still looking.

Carolina Reaper?

I've never tried one, believe it or not.

Frankly, I'm afraid to, lol.

My two babies. The Scorpion on the left is (May 2017) and 14" . The Reaper is (May 2018; when I got her she was already 12" tall) and 28". Like a tree.

The Scorpion can be 2-3' tall and I've read that the Reaper can be up to 5' tall in the ground or a suitable pot (mine is 10") so it will be restrained.

5ZmJyha.jpg

The fruit on the Reaper (you can see about 5 of them below) are about 1 1/4" long. About 14 of them now (re-counted as they are quite well hidden being dark green at this stage).

z0Z8nNL.jpg

I'm going to freeze whole (as opposed to drying/crushing).

Last edited:
Those reapers look deadly!
Uh, no thanks! I've seen too many people eat them and IMMEDIATELY regret it. Not to mention later!
A food that keeps on giving! :rolleyes:

Because I can ;)

Similar to 7 pot chili's in heat, they got that name because 1 pepper would be enough for 7 pots of food.

Those reapers look deadly!
Uh, no thanks! I've seen too many people eat them and IMMEDIATELY regret it. Not to mention later!
A food that keeps on giving! :rolleyes:

They are to be respected but so long as they're diluted and handled carefully they're not so bad (I like the heat too).

The BBQ pit boys did reaper burgers and I did something similar - even diluted with maybe 1/3# of meat (~1/4 pepper) it's hardly noticeable. I can't remember the exact flavor- I remember a nice citrus/piney flavor (not when cooked in the burgers) but that might've been from ghosts.

Len - I saw a recipe that you might want to try - it was from ATK or cooks country, and what they did was peel then quarter a pineapple, cut out the core, cut the pineapple into ~1" square strips, grilled it along with a jalapeno. Chopped that with a red bell pepper, chop/mince everything, and that's about it. I'll see if I can find a link, might be a couple hours

If that piney flavor is in your peppers I bet they'd go perfectly in a mango salsa.

edit:>>>>> Here's that link - I wanna try the whole thing (grilled fish tacos & pineapple salsa)

https://www.americastestkitchen.com...tm_content=fishtacos&utm_campaign=atkfacebook

before you say the link doesn't work (and it might not), refresh it a couple times and then try again with a different browser.

Last edited:
I wonder how bad those Reapers would tickle skin?

I've had cayenne powder to turn my hands red before, and it did not feel good either.

If I'm understanding this right, you grow the hottest pepper you can, and then cut the heat by using much less of it?
Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

I've often wondered if the spice is enough to burn your skin, what is it doing to your inside? I've seen wornings on some spices that say avoid contact with eye's and skin.

I wonder how bad those Reapers would tickle skin?

I've had cayenne powder to turn my hands red before, and it did not feel good either.

You might be particularly sensitive, or just not accustomed to it, or I might just be thick skinned... I'm careful to not touch my eyes (not always though, sometimes I get burned eyes if I forget, & other times I get a burning feeling on places I don't remember scratching :confused:

If I'm understanding this right, you grow the hottest pepper you can, and then cut the heat by using much less of it?
Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

Some people do that with high-point bourbons - but not me. Wait a minute, I've ordered several shots of Makers Mark with an ice cube in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/5bee2t/tips_for_drinking_higher_proof_bourbons/

This might make it easier to understand: like that pineapple salsa posted above - it's gonna take a lot to jack up the heat on it, but these peppers are flavorful, and hot..... so you can add heat & a subtle tasty flavor with room for other flavors to shine....alongside the burn if you so wish.

I've often wondered if the spice is enough to burn your skin, what is it doing to your inside? I've seen wornings on some spices that say avoid contact with eye's and skin.

Capsaicin is generally regarded as safe & beneficial from what I've seen - most people (myself included) wouldn't be into it without a few idiot friends leading the way......reminds me of a few of my other hobbies.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/21/garden/eating-spicy-food-what-are-the-effects.html

Like Clint says :D I do use nitrile gloves when cutting. With these, I'll go so far as to cut on a plastic bag on top of the cutting board. The oils are difficult to clean off.

Bob, they are hot but also flavourful. Just like with spices, sometimes you want the subtlty that these add so I get their flavour and some of their heat.

Consider japs. Flavour but not a lot of heat (for some). To get more heat I'd need to add more japs. BUT then their flavour will overpower the other spices to get the wanted heat level and I don't want that. I want to taste them but not get slapped in the face with it ;)

Another Scorpion is halfway there. It's pretty cool (pun intended ;) ) how they ripen. Red top/bottom is still green.

RWLqOiE.jpg

Love the colours :D

Back