Went through charcoal in four hours

Kyle-Toronto

Haven't smoked anything in a couple years. I'm smoking a 4lb pork roast. I'm about four hours in and having to add more charcoal as I've burned through most of it already. I did the minion method and filled the tray up as much as I can and put about 10 coals in the center to start. It's about 70 degrees here today, a bit windy but not too much. I did use the water pan which I guess has something to do with it but how do it go through so much charcoal in such a short period of time? Was Kingsford Blue.

What were your pit temperatures like? If it was running hot with all vents wide open, that could go through that much charcoal but, I’ve not had that happen to me...yet.
I don’t use water either so, that will definitely make a difference.

Haven't smoked anything in a couple years. I'm smoking a 4lb pork roast. I'm about four hours in and having to add more charcoal as I've burned through most of it already. I did the minion method and filled the tray up as much as I can and put about 10 coals in the center to start. It's about 70 degrees here today, a bit windy but not too much. I did use the water pan which I guess has something to do with it but how do it go through so much charcoal in such a short period of time? Was Kingsford Blue.

What were your pit temperatures like? If it was running hot with all vents wide open, that could go through that much charcoal but, I’ve not had that happen to me...yet.
I don’t use water either so, that will definitely make a difference.

Was at 215-225 most of the time. Started with the vents about 1/4 open then by about the 2-3 hour mark I had them almost fully open trying to get heat up and stay up. 18" WSM

I never had that problem with my 18. I used a Brinkmann charcoal pan for a water pan which gave me extra room for charcoal but 4 hours with KBB is a really short time at that temp.. Hopefully someone can solve this mystery.

There is nothing I can think of that would result with that kind of fuel consumption. Barbecue continues to be a mystery!

Hephaestus was not smiling on your orb of gustatory delight, pure and simple. Some days we incur the wrath of the barbecue gods. I had a big hit a few weeks ago, I figure I’m due for a few failures or at least challenging smokes after that last simple run to deliciousness!

Do a little research and you will find that Hephaestus was the blacksmith to the gods.
Son of Hera and Zeus.

The International Society of the Pursuers of Hephaestus is in its early stages. We have but five devotees at this writing.

Information on the Society may be available at the convenience of the committee chairs, in USA and U.K.
Office hours at the convenience of said chairs.
Sleep well

Hail Hephaestus!

Last edited:

Back