Smoking in the rain

MikeS in Alaska

TVWBB Fan
Can't let the rain stop the smoke.

It's 53°F and raining. Nothing to do but rig a tarp and put your butt on.

The WSM 18 on the right is a craigslist find. It needed a good scrubbing. It looked like the PO tried a "hot squat" and was unsuccessful. Also they got creative with the hardware and brackets.

It cleaned up good and holds temp well. Now I can make a double stacker for that whole slab of bacon.

smoke.jpg

I smoked beef ribs in a storm last summer on my stick burner. I was actually under my covered patio but the rain was coming in under the edge.

MdLEVRq.jpg

Saw this thread and had to post!

i was pumped to smoke my homecured bacon for thanksgiving, but it was raining. Weather app said i would have a perfect 3 hour break in rain. Just enough time to smoke my bacon!

...weatherman lied...

had to setup my smoker in the rain... so lonely. bacon turned out great however!!!

EDIT: sorry about the size of pics, dont know how to reduce

otq6Yko.jpg

rOfwssP.jpg

u6ydFyR.mp4

kUrCFB7.jpg

sU8GJRz.jpg

What does doing this prevent?
Well, exercise the little grey cells and think about it for half a second.
“Ring preventer”?
The threesticks make a very inexpensive way to keep the lid off your patio or deck and not end up with any smoke residue leaving a ring.
It’s not rocket science.

“Ring preventer”?
The threesticks make a very inexpensive way to keep the lid off your patio or deck and not end up with any smoke residue leaving a ring.
It’s not rocket science.

In my case, it keeps the leaves, moss, and other detritus off the rim of the lid. All too often I find myself with a handful of lid and needing both hands. But I'm too lazy to rig up a hanger for it.

“Ring preventer”?
It’s not rocket science.

In my case, it keeps the leaves, moss, and other detritus off the rim of the lid. All too often I find myself with a handful of lid and needing both hands. But I'm too lazy to rig up a hanger for it.

Thanks for explaining.

I bought my WSM used. It came with the 57 dollar hinge. https://www.cajunbandit.com/product/weber-smokey-mountain-smoker-hinge-kit/
I would have probably never spent the money to buy one. But after being spoiled...........Lets put it this way. If my smoker was stolen I wouldn't hesitate to order a new hinge for my replacement smoker. It's kind of cool the way it works. There is a detent that holds the lid open. You just lift it a little,and you can close it. Open it,and it falls in the detent to hold it open. I never have to give any thought about where i am gonna sit or hang the lid.

Back