Genesis S320?

BillSmith

TVWBB Pro
What do people think of the Genesis S320? There is a guy in my area asking $350 for the natural gas version. I think I could get him down to $250.

I currently have a Genesis 1300 that I bought in the late 90s.

If you have use for it, it sounds like a good deal. But, I would consider refurbishing the Genesis 1300 instead.

I am with Bruce. The newer model looks more "impressive" with its modern style, but the "classic" Genesis, I think, has a timeless charm and rugged reliability that the new ones lack. You could have some fun following some tips from this forum and do a complete renovation of your 1300 making it look better than new.

Does your 1300 have wood slats?

Also, is the S320 the one with side controls and "E-W" burners or does it have front controls and "N-S" burners?

I would definitely rather have a 1300 than a new one with front to back burners.

The 320 has side controls so I guess that means E-W burners? Is that worse than N-S? The seller says that it is in like new shape.

My 1300 is in pretty good shape. The only issue is that the bottom rails of the frame has separated from the sides due to rust. The other issue is the back burner knob is hard to turn. I took the manifold apart but wasn’t able to remove the screws on the problematic burner due to rust on the screws. I tried to drill out the screw but it was slow going and I gave up. I thought I could take the valve from my original 1300 LP manifold and then swap the orifice. But that won’t work because the orifice has a different screw size.

Tomorrow I will stop by a guy on Craigslist to buy a new valve for $22. He rehabs Webers and sells them. I’ll see what he has and maybe buy one. I was only looking to buy a second Weber to have more space since in the summer, I like to grill and bake outside. I’m also looking for a good deal.

I wonder if my grill has been getting rust because it’s on the ground (not on a deck) and it’s always covered? I hope to have a new deck built in the next year which will help keep it drier.

My 1300 has the plastic slats.

Most true grillers prefer the E-W burners. It allows for better control of your cook. However, the average Joe who just wants to burn a couple burgers or steaks for dinner seem to prefer the N-S burners due to the front controls which frees up the side table.

I have a spare Genesis Silver B valve I could send to you. But, I don't know if they are the same as the Genesis 1000-5000 valves.

They are not the same Bruce. Will not fit due to different length and angle because of fire box size differences

I know the whole manifolds are different, I just figured maybe the valves were the same, just the manifold dimensions were different. I have never really compared them before to know for sure.

Bill,
Where in Mass does that guy rehab Weber's?

Billerica which is near my workplace. Here is his ad:
https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/fod/d/weber-grills-reconditioned/6680135597.html

I wonder if he reads these forums?

I have a spare Genesis Silver B valve I could send to you. But, I don't know if they are the same as the Genesis 1000-5000 valves.

Thanks for the offer but I do want to check this guy’s operation. Plus I already told him that I will be stopping by to pick it up. I will post some pictures later to show what the valves look like.

Yes, I’m looking forward to checking his operation out.

Post some pictures if he is ok with that. He looks to have taken grill restorations from a hobby/sideline to a full-time business. I would love to see more of what he does.

Post some pictures if he is ok with that. He looks to have taken grill restorations from a hobby/sideline to a full-time business. I would love to see more of what he does.

Will try to do so. I believe he has been around for awhile. I do remember seeing his ad around four years ago when I was looking for a used NG grill.

I bought an S320 NG in perfect condition (other than a broken ignitor switch) for $200 CAD - divorce case where the matrimonial home was sold and the wife was moving to a condo.
I replaced the ignitor switch and use the S320 as my winter beater BBQ.

Here are some photos that I took. Definitely has a lot of grills. All over his property. Front yard, driveway, and backyard. He is retired and has been doing this for about 10 years if I recall correctly. Prior to that, he was in the doc shredding business. I asked if he does a lot of grilling and surprisingly, he has not done any for awhile. Just seems to enjoy this hobby business of his. Very friendly fellow.

ms5Ydzt.jpg

pZjHPqD.jpg

HLMf4xM.jpg

mbfK5wM.jpg

Thanks for that. I feel a lot better now. Maybe I should carve out a couple hundred square feet out in the back. hahhaha.

It must be awful tough to try to beat him to CL and FB grills in that area.

My question is: Is he doing more collecting than rehabbing? Or does he keep them moving in and out.

Thanks for this pictures. In case my wife starts complaining I can show her worse cases of Weberitis. 😂

Thanks for this pictures. In case my wife starts complaining I can show her worse cases of Weberitis. ��

I am with you, Stefan! I can’t wait to show these pictures to my wife;)! By comparison, she will feel blessed. I am trying really hard and yesterday agreed that we would (eventually) have only ONE grill on our smallish deck. That will be my never finished Skyline. I had kind of wanted it to be sort of a “deck queen” to use once a week or less, but even I admit that grills are meant to be used. The rest of my grills will be consigned to the far back yard or somewhere my wife doesn’t care about. But even at my worst- or best - I couldn’t compete with this guy! I wonder if he makes any money at it or even cares if he does:).

Bill,
Thank you for the fun pictures. All of us with our own Weber grave yards won’t feel as guilty now! That is a real hoot:eek:!

Back