The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Older model 18" WSM with leaking access door

TVWBB Fan

Older model 18" WSM with leaking access door

My pre-2008 model 18" WSM is still going strong although the access door has a slight bow to it. I'm hesitant to try and bend - in fact it's hard for me to see by eye. I am wodnering if I should try to order a factory replacement, or look into one of those heavier-duty aftermarket doors or even try a little gasket material around the edge.

It does run a little hot (like 275) when I'm trying to keep it closer to 250 and suspect some oxygen is entering thru the gap.

Thoughts?

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Reshape it first, if you blow it, order a Cajun bandit. Shape SLOWLY, or you could increase the problem. I’m told this is not uncommon. More gunk will help too I suppose. Figuring which axis to correct and by how much can be the hard part.
    Mine leaks a bit too, considering the same options. Not worrying about very much, I seem to be able to keep temps under reasonable control fairly well.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    Just ordered a new Weber replacement door for older WSMs. It actually fits pretty well and doesn't leak.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

TVWBB Fan
    Lew, where did you order it?

TVWBB Pro
    Direct from Weber.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff