The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pork Butt v2

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    After cooking a butt most of us double wrap it in heavy duty foi, put in a cooler with towels around the foiled meat, and let it rest for 1 to 4 hours. The rest allows the meat to relax and reabsorb the juices. Some let it cool on the counter to 170 and then wrap and rest in a cooler. I just wrap and rest when it's probe tender. I suspect that if you add the rest to your technique you will be happier with the result.

I have gotten butts tender at 195 internal and went up to 205 with a couple to get them tender. Every piece of meat is different and it takes repetitions to figure it out. You're doing fine..
    Thank you. Reabsorbing the juices sounds like a good reason.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    Thanks all.

I've got that 203 figure in my head from amazingribs.com--big fan of the site. Not that I had to hit that temp, just that it could've taken that to hit the "tender zone." But my gut feeling was that it was already getting dry and would just have gotten dryer. Maybe I should experiment with a bone-in as that'll be a tighter package--then I can practice my hog-tying to get the boneless more uniform. More butts on the smoker can't be a bad thing!
    What if you try bone-in and boneless at the same time? Has anyone else tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by Arun L. View Post

What if you try bone-in and boneless at the same time? Has anyone else tried that?

Yea I did 4 a few years ago, Two were BNLS and 2 BI. I Put the BNLS on the bottom rack and the BI on top, overnite on an 18.5" WSM and they finished at roughly the same time.
    Put all 4 in foiled half pans and into a cambro for a 3 hr rest. I did it for a grad party and pulled each one as needed.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    Thanks all.

I've got that 203 figure in my head from amazingribs.com--big fan of the site. Not that I had to hit that temp, just that it could've taken that to hit the "tender zone." But my gut feeling was that it was already getting dry and would just have gotten dryer. Maybe I should experiment with a bone-in as that'll be a tighter package--then I can practice my hog-tying to get the boneless more uniform. More butts on the smoker can't be a bad thing!
    I’d recommend trying a bone in before worrying much, when you tie one the idea is that you don’t “lace it like a LeBron James shoe”really tightly, it’s to restore the density of a bone in mass. Wait until bone in butts are cheap (it happens fairly often) at your local chain store, Costco is NOT always the least expensive place to buy, and get three, freeze two, rub one down for an overnight nap and smoke to 195. See what you think,if it’s “wetter” than you want, do the next one a little higher.
    Butts are cheap, and very forgiving, try each one a little bit differently and TAKE NOTES! Then you will see what works and what does not work for you. It’s very much personal taste, just because I offer the opinion, it is NOT cast in stone. Experiment and learn, I swear, there is no “Bad” barbecue, some is just better than others.
    I posted a thread called “everything just aligned” and that day, it all worked very well. Get back out there!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I smoke bone in butts and smoke them until I get an IT temp. of 190 to 193. I inject my butts with chicken stock .. I use a drip pan and mix the juice from the pan after separating the fat from the juice back into the shredded meat. I use water in the pan .. not sand. You're not really looking for tenderness on a butt like you would with ribs or brisket. The IT is most important. I find much higher than 195 the meat starts getting dry .. IMO. I often get requests for my pulled pork so I must be doing something right!

I like Amazingribs also but everything they print is not gospel. There's a bit of personal preference and ego there just like here. Dealing with the bone is not a big deal. Walmart has them for $1.76 a pound here and their Butts smoke well. I have paid 2 bucks/lb. more at Publix and the finished product is no better than the Walmart Butt.

Also you probably can't get more boneless butts than bone in on the WSM. 6 Butts on the 18.5 is probably max - either way.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" & 22.5" WSM, 1998 22" Performer with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    FWIW, I never probe butts, I go by temperature, wrapped saucer in water pan.
    Something about that sentence just doesn’t look right, or it’s a set up for a bad joke!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Yea I did 4 a few years ago, Two were BNLS and 2 BI. I Put the BNLS on the bottom rack and the BI on top, overnite on an 18.5" WSM and they finished at roughly the same time.
    Put all 4 in foiled half pans and into a cambro for a 3 hr rest. I did it for a grad party and pulled each one as needed.

Tim
    Thanks. How did they turn out?

Trying a bone-in sounds like a good comparison. I'll keep an eye out for cheap ones and compare results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12