Char siu sauce?

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All Any one know of a good Char Siu sauce I can buy at an Asian market.
I tried a few sauces from Lee Kum Kee was not happy with them. I don't want to go out and buy all the stuff to make my own..I tried making a Chinese BBQ sauce with hoisin sauce as the base, didn't come out so good.
I'm going to try this one next. I'm running out of sauces to try. https://usa.lkk.com/en/products/spare-rib-sauce
Thanks Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, I don't think the number of views has any correlation with how many actual people saw your post. If you look at the number of people online, most are going to be guests that can't/won't log in, or are bots, etc. Anyway, I personally have no answer for you as I know very little about Asian food. Good luck! Hopefully someone here knows something!

Here's one from my favorite Chinese cookbook, I haven't made this but now I might:

chinese barbecued pork

It takes a strong person to resist slices of glistening roast pork, crisp and dripping with caramelized juices. But when you get char siu, translated as Chinese “barbecued pork,” at a Cantonese restaurant, the familiar red color will most likely be from a little food coloring. A small amount of dye isn’t harmful, but sometimes a restaurant will go overboard, and you end up with barbecued pork that has a glowing magenta exterior. The solution is to make char siu at home. Rather than using food coloring, you can get a good reddish-brown color from dark soy sauce, a little hoisin sauce, and honey. Dark soy sauce is the best to use for adding more color and giving it a sweet, aged flavor, but you can always substitute regular soy sauce. The key is marinating the meat for 2 to 3 hours to allow the flavors to seep in before roasting the pork belly. You can serve roast pork as is, as part of a multicourse meal, or added to noodle soup with shiitakes and Chinese greens. Leftovers (if there are any!) can be used for Yangzhou Fried Rice, Roast Pork Lo Mein, or Singapore Noodles.

serves 4 to 6 as part of a multicourse meal

marinade
2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce, or substitute regular soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ teaspoons hoisin sauce
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 pound whole pork belly, skin removed
2 tablespoons honey

1. Marinate the pork belly: In a large bowl, mix together the rice wine, dark soy sauce, sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, and five-spice powder. Rub the pork belly with the marinade mixture and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.

2. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

3. Hold up the pork for a few seconds to allow excess marinade to drip off, then place the pork in a roasting pan. Brush the top with the honey. Roast the pork for about 45 minutes, flipping over the pork belly halfway through and brushing honey on the other side. The pork is done when the outside begins to crisp and blacken and the center of the pork belly strip feels firm.

4. Remove the pork from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into thin slices. Arrange the slices on a plate and serve.

Kuan, Diana. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home (Kindle Locations 1536-1539). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/034552912X/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

Hi Sounds good to me..I bought a Char Siu package mix and a Spare Rib sauce, I'm going to try.
Thanks Dan
mphzXQa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have better luck if you posted this on the forum that discusses Sauces, Rubs, etc.

The Rub, Marinade, Brine, Mop & Sauce Recipes forum is for posting recipes, not for recommendations on commercial sauces. Posting in the Barbecuing forum was not a bad idea, but I've moved this thread to the Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions forum because it's about a particular ingredient--char siu sauce.

Is it Char Sui, Char Siu, or both/either? I thought I once attempted a Raichlen recipe but searched "Sui" in my database without a hit. I then found it under Siu. Now I'm confused, but I realize this offers no value to the OP. The only note from my DB that makes any real sense to me is that we felt we were not fans of hoisin sauce. But we are limited in our exposure to Asian cuisine.

Nice suggestion. Have any of these made it to Paprika with good success?

Not yet but I'll have to import the my next cook from this cookbook. One of my favorite things is how easy it is, I was surprised at first at the small amount of sauce & marinade (usually ~2-3 T total each). I've been thinking about making something from that CB again over the last 2-3 months but haven't yet.

Hi All Another waste. My wife took one bite and her plate went into the garbage, she is VERY picky eater. She said it was fatty and not good tastesing.I should give up this Asian try with pork, was her comment. I used the Spare Rib Sauce.
mphzXQa.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

Back