Putting the charcoal grate on the middle rack.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I've read on this site that it's possible to put the charcoal and charcoal grate on the middle rack.

What do you think about this configuration for high heat cooks?

Like maybe pizza, or things that would be cooked at 425 - 450 degrees.

Don’t understand the question or reason for the grate reconfiguration.
Are you talking about raising the fire level?
I suppose you could but, I’m not trying it, sounds like a bad idea to me, use a regular kettle!

Last edited:
Don’t understand the question or reason for the grate reconfiguration.
Are you talking about raising the fire level?
I suppose you could but, I’m not trying it, sounds like a bad idea to me, use a regular kettle!

I don't have a regular kettle.

Yes, I am talking about raising the fire level.

I should have linked to whatever I saw a few days ago. I can't find it anymore.

But ok, so it sounds like a bad idea then.

Don't see why you couldn't do it... And it's not a bad idea by any means...The coal grate on a kettle to the cooking grate is about 4 1/2 inches the second great on the WSM is about 7 1/2 inches way from the top grate...

Why wouldn't you just put the fire where it is supposed to be and remove the middle section of the WSM and put the cooking grate on the bottom section?
Seems much less complicated to me

I have done it this way a couple times with mine. Works just fine. The cooking grate just sets on top of the charcoal ring. The lid sits on the bottom.

OK. I stand corrected, interesting idea but, it’s not raising the fire level in this instance, just removing the center section as Anne recommends.
Arun, you always seem to be trying to do things the most convoluted manner ever conceived, you remind me of me!
Good luck, now I’m off to see if I can find my buddy with a diamond saw to cut some pizza stones to fit my gasser, they’re too long by 1/2” drat it! I do crazy tings too!
Last night I finished up the clean up of the $10 dollar kettle. I replaced the sweepers, and reattached the old single side table support, fixed the torn out wire tray attachment on the front leg and, installed the Pizzaque array, too much going on to test fire that this week but, soon.

Why wouldn't you just put the fire where it is supposed to be and remove the middle section of the WSM and put the cooking grate on the bottom section?
Seems much less complicated to me

I tried that before, but the fire was still too close.

I think the distance might be more appropriate if the charcoal grate, for certain conditions, might be on the lower cooking rack? It was just an idea, after I read it somewhere on this site.

OK. I stand corrected, interesting idea but, it’s not raising the fire level in this instance, just removing the center section as Anne recommends.
Arun, you always seem to be trying to do things the most convoluted manner ever conceived, you remind me of me!
Good luck, now I’m off to see if I can find my buddy with a diamond saw to cut some pizza stones to fit my gasser, they’re too long by 1/2” drat it! I do crazy tings too!

Last night I finished up the clean up of the $10 dollar kettle. I replaced the sweepers, and reattached the old single side table support, fixed the torn out wire tray attachment on the front leg and, installed the Pizzaque array, too much going on to test fire that this week but, soon.

:)

Enjoy trying the reworked kettle.

I think I'll also try taking the measurements of the setup, to see how much of a difference it would really make.

James N posted them, but I should check for myself.

Back