Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PID tuning for mini gravity feed.

TVWBB Wizard
    I made the larger gravity feed from smokerbuilder.com and others on here have made the mini and I'm pretty sure they have had no issues with it. Not much needs to be done to them, and that's why I think your TC is likely the issue. I have a TC that the protective cover came of, although it still works fine, it's very sensitive and just air blowing on it causes it to freak out and is not usable for smoking.

TVWBB Pro
    i have/Built the same smoker, and can keep within 1 degree. i use the stock HM PID settings. I haven't tried my Adapt-a-Damper with it yet, but use a 15 CFM version that I set to 40% max and it never really gets over 5% of that 40% once up to temp. I'm currently using it with the damper portion (servo) unplugged and just use fan. If I do overshoot, it settles quite quickly, and that may be due to the fact that I keep the top damper on the smoke stack fully open all the time.

I agree with john. You probably need a less sensitive Pit Probe.

Here's one of my test burns. 13 hours straight line until it ran out of fuel.

By the way - You did a great job on the Smoker!

Last edited by WBegg; 09-05-2018 at 08:37 AM.

What kind of charcoal do you useż

TVWBB Super Fan
    I also built a double pan gravity fed, using the same plans, and stock constants. While I might not (edit: where'd that word go....) have quite as flat of a curve as Will, it's pretty darned good. I use natural lump hardwood charcoal (Rockwood.) I find it burns cleaner, and leaves a lot less ash than compressed briquettes.
    Last edited by JKalchik; 09-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BDuggar View Post
    What kind of charcoal do you useż
    Royal Oak brand Lump

Ok. I was investigating and I think I had some Ash stop up from the fire box the cooking chamber. I'm gonna do a retest this weekend with stock settings and new probe.

TVWBB Wizard
    I use any lump charcoal, I can buy at the time I'm at the store, mostly whatever Walmart has.

It definitely your prob, a new one that's less sensitive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12