Thread: Cooking on my 18" kettle.

TVWBB Olympian

Cooking on my 18" kettle.

Surprisingly I'm finding the 18 to be more versatile than I thought. Direct cooking is great and today I did an indirect on it with a tri tip and it came out perfectly. I may be retiring my 22 for awhile.
    George
    Can't live without spam

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I use my 18"JJ more than the performer or the 22 platypus. Very efficient and plenty big enough for the two of us. I even cut the center out of an old 18" grate and got an under $3 SS Walmart dog bowl and made a vortex out of it. That works great also.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I actually sold my 18 because I just wasn't using it. My Performer is just too dang convenient. I still have a JJ for mobile cooks.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I actually sold my 18 because I just wasn't using it. My Performer is just too dang convenient. I still have a JJ for mobile cooks.
    I agree Pat the performer is just about as easy as a gasser. When I designed the cart for my 18 WSM and JJ I had that in mind, so I built in an old side burner dedicated to lighting the coals for the JJ and WSM. Close to the performer in ease of operation.

[IMG]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 08-20-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    I agree Pat the performer is just about as easy as a gasser. When I designed the cart for my 18 WSM and JJ I had that in mind, so I built in an old side burner dedicated to lighting the coals for the JJ and WSM. Close to the performer in ease of operation.

[IMG]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Rich,
    That is a very cool setup! I like how you repurposed one Weber grill to service an entirely different one. That arrangement puts the Jumbo Joe at a nice high height that I would certainly appreciate.

Jon
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    Rich,
    That is a very cool setup! I like how you repurposed one Weber grill to service an entirely different one. That arrangement puts the Jumbo Joe at a nice high height that I would certainly appreciate.

Jon
    Jon, it also brings the WSM up about 8" and makes it movable and much easier to clean.