Temp on my new WSM

Wyatt Martin

Just looking for thoughts. Didn't have too much trouble, but wasn't quite getting what I wanted.

Doing a brisket on my 22.5 WSM and using the Minion method. Almost full ring of unlit blue bag, and about 3/4 full lit. easily kept 250-260 all day (had some trouble keeping it down as night fell (spike to 265), but really wanted the 225 range. Did not use water. Had to run it with all three bottom vents closed, and the top was eventually closed about 2/3. outside temp in the high 80s low 90s all day. Brisket finished at about 8.5 hours for about 11 lbs. Not as buttery as I would have liked but seemed OK. hit 203 internal. Still resting so I haven't taste tested it yet.

Any thoughts for a newbie?

:blackperformer::wsm22:

Hi Wyatt,

The amount of lit coals determines the temperature range. The amount of unlit coals determines the length of time you can run in that temperature range.

Also, you are saying it's a new WSM?
The new WSM seem to be leaking some air, resulting in a bit of a higher temperature than you will get once a couple of cooks have been done.

Other than that, as Bob says :)

Welcome, Wyatt and congrats on your WSM. To Bob's point, I start with 8-12 lit coals for my 250'ish smokes with no water. For the most part, once I reach cruising temps, my intakes are approx 10% open and exhaust is 100% open.

Welcome to the crew. I agree with everything that's been said. For a new 22 WSM your temp control was outstanding. It's always easier to raise temp than lower it and you definitely never had a run away. Fewer lit coals to start, throttle back at 190 to 200 and sneak up on 225. I think it will be hard to hold without water in a new 22 but yours sounds pretty tight and you just might do it. After a few cooks it gets better. Have fun.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Great info from those in the know. I will try fewer lit coals on the next cook and see what happens.

As BFletcher said.

"Fewer" means 10-12 lit (I use briq) in warm summer, 15-16 in winter. Easy to increase temps, hard to lower.

Wyatt, new WSMs always run hot. Temp control will be easier after a few cooks. If not, check for leaks, especially around the door.

Great. I learned I shouldn't always have the chimney all the way full, like I have been doing every time. :)

I use a 3/4 to full chimney when doing a high temp cook like poultry where I'm wanting to get to 375. I also use a empty water pan, if it's a low and slow I make sure the pan has water at all times.

Back