Q 2200 guidance

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm posting it here because I read this forum daily and have full confidence in the few of you regulars. But if Chris moves it to Q he has every right. I'm contemplating a Q 2200 for portability without mods. As such, I seek your input on four questions:

1. Can I get a grate temp of >=550, and do so within--say--15 minutes and maintain it with 3.x lbs beef?
2. Can the Q 1200 achieve and maintain a higher grate temp (this assumes I can accept its smaller real estate, whose answer I'm personally contemplating)?
2. Do you dislike its exhaust from the sides, rather than its rear?
3. Does its weight and/or design make it difficult for the average male to transport over a short distance without a cart?

I think I understand this would be a "grill" station rather than offering many other offerings. But feel free to correct me. I have several WSM's and fixed Weber gassers (though someday I may covet a Q 3200).

Thanks for the advice!

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Please feel free to move all this to the Weber Q section

My first response is to say that these Qs are REALLY NICE grills. I like the simple compact design. They cook well at what they are meant for and have minimal flare-ups if you keep them clean. Fortunately they are easy to clean and maintain.

I started with an old Q200 :weberq: that I rehabbed. I loved that grill. It is true that you have to wait a good ten minutes for it to fully heat up, but it does and does fine at searing/high heat grilling. Here are some examples:

wrzyaa.jpg

2rgjqmq.jpg

I had previously dismissed the Q grills as nothing more than a compromise for tailgating, but I changed my tune completely after actually using one. In fact, getting a Q led me down the path of selling off my Genesis 330SE. On top of great grilling, I also really liked the aluminum and high heat glass-plastic construction. Almost nothing to rust here in South Florida where we major in that:mad:.

Once I got hooked on the Q, I of course started drooling over the big Q3200 :weberq3000: that I stared at often ($399) as I stood in line at our Ace, where I am a frequent flyer because of my job. So when the opportunity came to get one for only $100 on OfferUp, I jumped. Meanwhile, I decided to give my trusty 200 to a good friend who I felt would really benefit from it.

At first, I was enthralled with the extra real estate and style of the big Q. It also has PLENTY of power, so much so that I had to learn to back off compared to the 200 than I almost always ran wide open. Don't get me wrong, the 3200 is also a wonderful grill and probably more versatile with its two-burner set-up. I also like the handle light:

11c5kzp.jpg

But after a while, I found myself really missing my 200. It is hard to explain, but I just enjoyed cooking on it better.

So, my opinion is that the 200/2000 are an almost perfect compromise of portability and adequate size to do what you are looking for. With all aluminum/plastic construction they are very light and easy to move around. If you do plan to take it places more than once or twice a year, I recommend you consider the collapsible cart that works fine as an at-home stand but allows you to move the grill with ease. You can even hang the whole thing up on a garage wall if you were so inclined:

10gdafr.jpg

On the other hand, if you would rather have a more substantial cart and just remove the grill now and then, they also make one that is just like the 3200 cart but fits at least the newer 2000/2200 series. I really like the 2200 with its thermometer. I know it is only a rough guide, but it does give you an idea of how things are going inside.

My suggestion is go for the Q2200. Buy a handle light accessory if you think you would use it. Remember that it is primarily a grilling machine and not a bbq smoker or low-n-slow device. I can't say for sure about the 550 degrees, but I think the grate temperature would get there in 10 to 15 max. The smallest Q does have a higher ratio of power to square inches, so it gets hotter faster. Not sure if it tops out any higher. I do feel pretty sure that the 3200 can do that temperature pretty readily.

As far as the side exhaust vents, they never bothered me. Some people object to them however.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Having owned a Q220 (same as 2200) I can tell you they get plenty hot plenty fast. I have never wanted for more power on it. I did trade it off to Bruce for a Q320. Miss the 2xx? No not at all because the 3xx does everything it did only more of it. You initial post mentioned both 2200 and 1200 so I am not sure which you're asking about. My buddy just bought a new 1200 to use with his new camper. I bought some steaks to meet him at a camp ground near by. It did nicely but 2 steaks (larger ribeyes) filled it up. Also I noticed that once 2 large hunks of beef went on it the heat went down pretty fast (even wide open) though it did recover and did a wonderful job on those ribeyes.
As for portability the 2xxx is WAY more portable than the 3xxx but with the grate installed mind that the 2xxx is pretty substantial.
They're all very stingy with gas and a tank lasts very long. As for the vents on the side...............some folks get all bent outta shape over them. One person on this forum has ranted about it. I don't see all the fuss. Though I have noticed if I have a plate of container too close on a side table I have been surprised at how hot it gets though never been burned.
Honestly you cannot go wrong. But as mentioned it's a GRILL first and foremost. As such yeah you can apply little hacks and do more but it works primarily as a grill. When you look at how they work they're primarily a "contact" grill. Yes there is some smoke and vaporization but it is primarily a contact grill. Which is why it uses that very heavy CI grate. Anything else will not work because it won't have the thermal mass that CI grate has

You initial post mentioned both 2200 and 1200 so I am not sure which you're asking about.

I did a poor job of explaining myself; I feel more inclined toward a Q 2200 but if you guys gave negative feedback regarding its ability to reach and maintain high temps then I might consider the 1200.

Several months ago I asked you guys a few questions about the Q 3200 because a new one showed-up on CL for--if memory serves--$135. I missed out and I haven't found another one anywhere close to that price. After thinking long and hard about how I would use a Q, and taking into account what other grills I already have, I'm inclined to feel the 2200 would be better for me over the 3200. I believe I'd use it on mini vacations and picnics (which honestly would barely be a handful in a given year) and occasionally in the garage during rainy weather.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Q 2200 in trunk. Are you guys using Weber's adapter for use on a 20 lb tank, or is there some other recommendation? Thx.

The Weber one is of course totally fine, but you can probably beat the price with one of many alternatives. One thing to keep in mind is the length of hose. A short one may limit your options for placement of the tank.

After getting the Q 2200 yesterday, today I was at Meijer and the 6557 cart was on clearance for $17.50 :)

That’s a home run! Look forward to seeing it all restored and grilling away on a nice new cart!

Sorry, I meant that you "CAN NOT" pass on that deal. I would buy two at that price. Of course, I have three of them right now myself. :D

Okay, lol. I came within a cat's whisker of placing both of them in my basket (they had two). Then I realized that a) even though I looked at them online I originally had no intention of using one and b) it would be nice for someone else to find that deal whom would use the cart. When using the Q at home my current mindset is to rest it on a Walmart-grade folding table, which would give a little additional space for other essentials while grilling. But I thought about times when we might travel with it, so I decided to grab one (even though we had just one such trip so far this year).

Last edited:

Back