4th Annual Lassen County BBQ Cookoff, Susanville CA

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Mrs. TVWB and I had a really nice time yesterday in Susanville, CA judging barbecue at the 4th Annual Lassen County BBQ Cookoff with all proceeds benefiting Lassen Senior Services. Congratulations to organizers Alan Dowdy and Penny Artz for putting together a great event for the competition teams, the judges, and the community at large.

We'd never been to Susanville before, and it's just a fact that it takes some effort to get there. What seems to be the most direct route is to travel north on I-5 out of Sacramento, take a right at Red Bluff and drive east past Lake Almanor until you arrive in Susanville. However, the easier but less intuitive drive is to head east on I-80 out of Sacramento to Reno, Nevada, then take I-395 northwest back across the California border for the last 85 miles to Susanville. Along the way you pass White Lake, Red Rock summit, and the Honey Lake Valley...it's a beautiful drive at an elevation of 4000-4500' the whole way between Reno and Susanville.

The contest was held at the Lassen County Fairgrounds and admission for the public was only $5. This small fee entitled people to 12 one-ounce samples of People's Choice barbecue and a single ticket to vote for their favorite. As far as the KCBS contest goes, there were 27 teams from California, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona competing for $10,000 and some cool trophies. The top three CBBQA Rookie of the Year teams were there battling it out...and congratulations to Bull Market BBQ for winning GC and currently sitting atop the RoY leader board. Old Town Franklin BBQ took RC. Shout-out to Craig at Cynical BBQ for taking 3rd overall and Zack at Son of Smoke BBQ for taking 5th overall with his band of WSMs.

Here are some photos...enjoy!

9kKEjIX.jpg

Just part of the beautiful drive between Reno and Susanville.

ntmNOp5.jpg

When we saw this sign, we knew we were in the right place!

ubrNVX5.jpg

Judging took place in the air-conditioned comfort of Jensen Hall, greatly appreciated on a 90°F day.

pxLg6zn.jpg

Thanks to all the sponsors who helped make this event happen!

qyfUF40.jpg

A table full of unique trophies--an engraved cleaver mounted in a block of 100+ year old reclaimed barn wood from right here in Susanville.

0wJ1IMP.jpg

This trophy awaits the Grand Champion.

clXsVED.jpg

They had some neat t-shirts available for sale...

jbaNMX9.jpg

It was only upon closer inspection that I noticed this bull is cookin' on a WSM!

jfI5kR8.jpg

There was also a charity auction with lots of gift baskets, a Traeger Jr, and these two quilts. The one on the left is the Quilt of Valor that was given away in a raffle to a military veteran.

9wp8rXf.jpg

We arrived early on Friday so we checked out the team area. What a beautiful backdrop against the mountains.

Continued...

8RHYKML.jpg

We attended the team meeting on Friday at 5pm, just breaking up as I took this photo. Judges rarely attend this meeting, but I like to hear the presentation the teams get from the KCBS reps.

KPJ1Q0H.jpg

This guy seems to be the mascot of the Lassen County Fairgrounds.

ElPEFMU.jpg

And this guy...well, we all know this guy! A very important reminder, given all the wildfires going on in the Western United States.

oOdwCOw.jpg

Chatted up this guy as he was relaxing before the competition begins. It's Zack Galiste of Son of Smoke BBQ. Hopefully I got his login to The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board fixed so he can start posting competition WSM tips soon!

QDs7twe.jpg

From Redding, CA.

LaZTBO2.jpg

Gnaw is currently sitting in third place for CBBQA RoY.

MkX0IJ4.jpg

These guys were showin' off some serious hardware.

JR7nM8O.jpg

Lots of people were sampling Pete's Meat BBQ.

DMKGr0b.jpg

A local agency flew in a medical transport helicopter for the public to check-out, which stirred up some debris upon landing. Judges were instructed to disregard any sticks, twigs, rocks, or stray rotor blades found in turn-in boxes. :D

Continued...

aogoVz4.jpg

There was a mini car show, as well. This was one of my favorites, with a cool flame paint job across the hood and fenders. Reminded me of a life-sized Hot Wheels car!

5eVI5lB.jpg

This coral-colored Buick with black top was gettin' down for sure.

mSixcs6.jpg

The present and the past. Both really nice rides.

i6QEye0.jpg

These guys were singing the classic "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water" for a small but appreciative audience.

LJ4Rg6t.jpg

Someone was vending this incredible "double caramel" caramel corn. Served warm, no less! I gave it a 9-9-9...excellent caramel corn.

90miAbX.jpg

Even the kids had something fun, wet, and cool to play on.

I hope you enjoyed this look at the Lassen County BBQ Cookoff. Visit a KCBS competition near you soon and join in the fun!

Wow, right next door. Well, not quite. Guess I'll have to pay a little more attention to the event schedules. Missed the one in Petaluma not long ago too. Extremely nice photos and looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy getting a taste of the atmosphere at these events and I especially enjoy pics of the smokers. Pretty interesting to see everyone's choice of smoker.

Back