Don't like the newer ash catcher design

ZoranM

I have an older 26er and the SS Performer. Both have an ash catcher where you lift up the handle slightly and rotate it. On the 26er the ash bowl slides in the grooves real easy and very easy to remove and put back the ash catcher bowl. On my SS Performer it's not quite a perfect fit so takes a bit more effort.

I was in a BBQ store not too long ago and noticed the new charcoal weber's have a newly designed ash catcher. You need to pinch the handle and pull it down. I tried several different grills and on all of them it was very difficult to pinch the handle enough to be able to pull it down.

Am I crazy? Is the newer design easier to use than the lift and swivel mechanism they had before?

Can you still buy the older design as a part?

I doubt you're crazy because I've heard your complaint echoed here before. I have two Kettles--both of which utilize this new design--but I haven't yet experienced that issue. I never owned an earlier generation, so I cannot speak to a preference. I don't know if others somehow reshape the handle to remedy the issue, or what.

I never liked the older design. My Kettle is 2000 model and I have a heckuva time getting the ash catcher back on the kettle. I have three pegs that all have to fit in the slots at the same time, and then its difficult to lock into place after I've accomplished that trick.

My model was one of the first years with the ash catcher, maybe they've been improved over the years. But the easiest way to put mine on, is to get my wife to get on the other side of the Kettle to help me.

I tried the new squeeze type in the store and found it very hard to remove.
Maybe I've lost strength in my grip over the years, or maybe some are less flexible than others.
It used to be hit or miss on my 2 peg model Performer, but for a good while now I nail it first time.
When I did have trouble, pushing it up with one hand on the bottom of the bucket then twisting did the trick.

Now that I think about it, I'm wearing welding gloves when I remove and install my pans; I wonder if that makes a difference while compressing the handle.

Was in my local Osh today & noticed the new system. You are right in that you have to squeeze the handle really hard to release the ash bowl.

What I did like about the new design is, the ring that the ash bowl slides up into is beveled outward to ease fitting the bowl back up & in.
Every time I've emptied the bowl on my SS performer & I'm wrestling with the bowl to get it "just right" to fit it back up in there, I've wondered why Weber didn't bevel that ring!

I'm used to the new design now. At first it was difficult. For me I learned to squeeze hard and fast.

Back