Orange flames - 1 month old Weber Spirit 210

Rents

Hi, I have a new Weber spirit 210. Had it for less than a month and after using it 3-4 times, I have recently noticed that the horizontal burner now produces an orange flame.
Reding on the web I realised it could be:
1) spider web somewhere (in the burner pipe or burner air vents)
2) clogged burner pipe holes -> I guess unlikely since i have only had it for a month?

What would you recommend?
I have contacted the company where I bought it, shown them a video but they said this is normal. However I do not think it is, since I should only get blue flames.

What should I do? Should i try and clean the holes with a pin/needle/wire? Otherwise, assuming those holes are not clogged, can I use a compressed air bottle, to get rid of spider webs?

Unlike what you want to believe nice pure blue flames are not always the norm on an outdoor appliance that burns gas (LP or NG). Temperature and humidity along with barometric pressure all affect the flame you see. Even what you're cooking at the time has an effect. Unless the flames are not steady across or you are smelling combustion by product honestly it's normal

I agree with Lmichaels. At times I see orange flames on both my old webers. I think it's completely normal as both heat up and grill very well.

Thanks to all who answered.
The tank is completely full.
I will post a link with pictures and video later today (if this forum allows it).
Renzo

Optimal burning should be blue flames with some small yellow tips. But, I would say "Orange" would indicate a problem, especially if it is only happening to one of your burners. Check to make sure there isn't a bunch of grease or other burned on gunk on the burner tube.

You might get the orange flames right at first when starting the grill as it burns off crud that might have fallen on it when you brushed it off after the last cook, but it should soon burn off and start burning with more even bluish flames after a minute or two.

Posting up the video on this forum would allow us all to have a better idea of what you are experiencing.

Actually every grill I own starts out nice and blue and as heat and things build orange begins to show up. There is nothing you can do about it. It's normal

Hi,

I have managed to shoot a few videos. Hopefully these will allow you to better understand the behaviour I described and I’d be glad if you could share your opinion with me.

When I first turn it on (first 5-10 minutes), there are not too many orange flames:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AP8ixEt7BpoD73uMA

However, after a while the situation gets definitely worse.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxTWtMP7m5ZrgFR3A

This is what it looks like when the grill and the rest are back on:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DhsCeQMwggUo8tad8

• As the video shows, it’s mainly the connecting pipe.
  • Earlier today I used toothpicks to go through every single hole in the connecting/horizontal pipe. There didn’t seem to be anything stuck in it.
  • In terms of temperature it seems okay, since it reached 250 degrees C after 5 minutes and after 10 miniutes it had reached 295 degrees.
  • Aside from the temperature I wonder if that flame would damage the BBQ, as I assume it’s not supposed to operate like that. I think I will try to share the videos with Weber and see what they say.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

I didn't realize those "newer" spirit grills had crossover tubes in them. I though they had the individual burner igniters like the newer front control Genesis.

Seems to be running a little hot compared to mine, looks like you're in London @ an elevation of 115', I'm at 4500', so the greater atmospheric pressure at your elevation might explain the difference.

What temp does it get to in ~10 minutes on high?

The main tubes look fine, but to me, it looks like something is going on with that cross over tube in the 2nd video. I don't think you should be getting flames like that from it. Only thing I can think of is that somehow, there's some kind of slight blockage in the cross over tube. But, then again, at other times it's completely fine, as shown in the first video. Hmmmmmmmm.

I agree Dave. Looks to me like that crossover tube is putting out as much heat as the burners are. Those are crazy high flames for the crossover.

I agree Dave. Looks to me like that crossover tube is putting out as much heat as the burners are. Those are crazy high flames for the crossover.

Possibly Bruce. While the big orange flames look ferocious, they actually put out much lower heat than small, tight blue flames. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's producing kind of a cold spot on the grill.

Seems to be running a little hot compared to mine, looks like you're in London @ an elevation of 115', I'm at 4500', so the greater atmospheric pressure at your elevation might explain the difference.

What temp does it get to in ~10 minutes on high?

After 10 minutes? 295 degrees - Celsius.

Thanks to everyone.
Let's see what customer care at Weber says. I hope they have a good customer service as I have read, and that someone takes the time to watch the video as you all did.

I would really like to know if something is wrong - if it's only causing less heat or if those flames are possibly ruining something - and how to fix it.
Unlike small items under warranty I cannot just send the item back and receive it fixed.

295 Celcius is 563 Fahrenheit. That is pretty good for a two burner grill IMO. I think a lot of member on this forum thought you were talking Fahrenheit degrees. If you hit 563F in ten minutes, I think your grill is heating up fine.

.......still seems hot to me.

295 Celcius is 563 Fahrenheit. That is pretty good for a two burner grill IMO. I think a lot of member on this forum thought you were talking Fahrenheit degrees. If you hit 563F in ten minutes, I think your grill is heating up fine.

Next measurement: all 3 burners on low for 20 minutes - what's the temp?

Back