Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

The Pee Dee River at Cheraw, SC is running at 2,700% of normal....

18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB Platinum Member Phil Perrin's Avatar
    We live in NW Charlotte. We only got about 5" of rain. The SE part of the county got almost 10", and where my mom lives, Anson county, got close to 12"
    Lagers and pilsners and ales, oh my!

Just read where Sanderson Farms lost 1.5 million chickens due to drowning!

They died trapped in their barns.

Looks like they would have opened the doors and let them out before the storm hit. Animals usually come home to roost anyway.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB Pro
    The farmers can't claim it on insurance if they let the chickens go. I know it sounds harsh, but make no mistake, those aren't pets, they're a mans lively hood' and in this instance they were probably worth more dead than hoping they might survive and come back. Also, those aren't free range chickens. The only life they know is inside that building...
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    We just came back from Safeway, we bought two Sanderson farms whole chickens at $.99 a pound. Bet that price will be going up soon. Think I'll go back and get a couple more.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    We just came back from Safeway, we bought two Sanderson farms whole chickens at $.99 a pound. Bet that price will be going up soon. Think I'll go back and get a couple more.
    I don't expect the price of chicken to be effected much if any by this. I don't remember the numbers, but the chickens lost are a drop in the bucket compared to the chicken production. It may have a small effect for a short time, or perhaps a regional effect, but if it does I don't think it will last long.

Also lost to flooding was a large amount of turkeys, and quite a few hogs.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but they are worse than Hurricane Matthew's destruction.

EDIT: Rescuers found a loose pig in a remote area during Hurricane Floyd, and they named the pig, Pink Floyd.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 09-19-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    The farmers can't claim it on insurance if they let the chickens go. I know it sounds harsh, but make no mistake, those aren't pets, they're a mans lively hood' and in this instance they were probably worth more dead than hoping they might survive and come back. Also, those aren't free range chickens. The only life they know is inside that building...
    Tim
    Is it true that chickens are ready for market in 30 days?

If so, it shouldn't take long to replenish what was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    I saw some for 67 cents a pound today at a discount grocery store, but they looked rather scrawny.

Ever since Sanderson opened a new processing facility down east, the brand if showing up all over the place.

Heck, we butchered a whole fryer, marinated it in whole buttermilk all day, and smoked it on the 18" WSM today. Sure was good! The buttermilk tenderized the breast meat a bit. Forgot to mention we cooked it kettle-style with flour.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 09-19-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516