power supply - 12v 6a ?

Jeremy_Pickett

Hey all,

The instructions for the power supply are that it should be a 12v 1a, or if its an unknown cheap brand off ebay etc, then a 12v 2a should be used, just in case.

Looking around my house, I found this power supply from a previous project (see attached image).
It is a 12v 6a and the plug is the correct size for the Heatermeter. I can't remember what I used it for previously, but there was no wreckage/smoke/fire.

My question would be (and it is admittedly quite a noob one (myself and electronics don't have a lot of history together)):
Am I about to make a firey bomb if i use the 12v 6a? or does it just draw the power it needs?

Thanks for your time!
Jeremy

iVKJp0x.jpg

Yeah the current specification is a minimum, so more is fine. The configuration looks right 12V, tip positive, so it should work assuming that it puts out DC voltage. It doesn't say anywhere that it is 12VDC, which I think would be the most common but you never know. If you have a multimeter you can stick one probe in the barrel jack and one on the outside of the barrel and verify it is DC volts and not AC.

Uh, Bryan..... it does say DC. 12V, then the symbol with the long horizontal line with 3 horizontal lines under it, the symbol stands for DC. A sine wave symbol would indicate AC instead.

Oh hahaha derp derp, I didn't even look at the symbols. Yeah that's DC alright! For those interested the Chinese says:
Power adapter model
Input
Outputs (sic)

Back