Today's lesson..How NOT to fix a faulty igniter on a Weber Genesis.

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
I was cleaning up today getting rid of a bunch of junk Weber pieces when I figured I'd post this work of fine craftsmanship.

I am starting the long awaited restore on my Weber 5000 and this is the cook box that was on when when I purchase it. I can only imagine the cost of an new igniter was waaaayy over priced at $11 and the former owner decides to take matters into his own hands and grab his cutting wheel and cut a square hole in the left side of the aluminum cook box-

b8G47tG.jpg

I guess the 5/8" hole Weber so conveniently locate on the right side of the grill to ignite was just not enough to fire up this bad boy :rolleyes:

I don't feel too bad about disposing of the cook box though, two of the bosses on the bottom of the box were broken off and the former owner ran long 8/32 machine screws into the cook box to mount the tray rails.

fxOLu6n.jpg

Jeff

That is a new one on me Jeff. LOL

The last grill I picked up had two of its five flavorizer bars left. The others were gone. He said "the burners keep getting clogged up". Well, guess which of the places he used the two remaining bars? Yah the two spots between the burners. The burners were so coated with crap, I had to put another set in just to burn off all the grease in the grill.

Last edited:
I guess that makes my “previous owner bought the wrong parts” problem moot! Bruce set me straight on the part so, when it gets here it will be a “Beef Day”!

Back