It was close by and it looks like it was an awesome deal!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, I promised that I was out of the market for ANYTHING unless it was (1) close by, and (2) a great deal. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a deal I have been working on for almost two months suddenly came together. This was listed on OfferUp for $100 under the title "BBQ":

5eekx2.jpg

TEC may not mean much to you; it didn't to me, but I was intrigued and did a little research. TEC makes REALLY TRUE infrared grills here in the US (Columbia South Carolina). They are noted for their 304 stainless construction and more importantly for their real infrared burner/glass combination that promises "steakhouse" performance with minimal flare-ups.

fdfvyr.jpg

Here is a link to a review by the BBQ Guys:

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning-center/expert-reviews/gas-grills/tec-patio-fr-gas-grill

As you can see, they really love these grills. There is, of course a price to pay. The model on OfferUp has been updated, but this one is pretty close:

https://www.bbqguys.com/tec/patio-f...ropane-gas-grill-on-black-pedestal-pfr1lppedb

Wow! $100 for a working $2,900 grill seemed too good to pass up;). The seller was not very communicative, but the ad lingered forever. From time to time I would message her again. Once and a while a short reply that it was available and when could I get it. When I said I was ready and asked for a time and address nothing would come back. Oh the world of online/in person buy and sell:confused:! Finally, we got it set up, and I decided I would take it only if it looked functional and not rusted out. I knew parts would be an expensive proposition, and the last thing I need is another major project.

What I found was a grill that in spite of the seller's comment that it "might need new internals" was actually in very decent shape. The rotary piezo starter didn't work, but it is fairly easy to light with a lighter. Fires up fine and although it has clear signs of use it didn't need anything but a cursory clean-up for me to give it a try:

1zgs12h.jpg

My laser thermometer registered grate level temperature over 800. The grate is kind of flimsy although made of stainless. It looks like a great candidate for rcplanebuyer to make an upgraded replacement grate.

This is a small grill. Only one burner. Seems like it is tailor made for searing 6 New York strips or fewer larger steaks. I have only done burgers so far. They were medium well with little over 3 minutes a side. Very good, too. I plan to test it with steaks this week for my son's birthday.

Then I have to figure out what to do:confused:. Flip or Keep???

What do you guys think?

Jon, I like how you keep venturing into the world of the unknown. That looks like an interesting project.
The lady probably thought the internals needed replacing because the igniter didn't work. That is likely the only thing she was really concerned with.
Good luck with that. Keep us posted on the cook test.

Jon,
Another cool grill, right up there with the Broilmaster.
While they might cook as well or probably better than a Weber Genesis that just lack that special "something".

I personally have a strong dislike for anything stainless and that is one of the reason I like the older Weber's so much...porcelain lids with many different color choices and when you add the wood side shelves you have the best of both worlds.

Of course I also like DE Razors and Tube Amp's so what do I know? :confused:

Jeff

Jon,
Another cool grill, right up there with the Broilmaster.
While they might cook as well or probably better than a Weber Genesis that just lack that special "something".

I personally have a strong dislike for anything stainless and that is one of the reason I like the older Weber's so much...porcelain lids with many different color choices and when you add the wood side shelves you have the best of both worlds.

Of course I also like DE Razors and Tube Amp's so what do I know? :confused:

Jeff

Jeff,

I am with you. This thing is pretty bland looking compared to my Weber Skyline. I like colors, too, although I also have a soft spot for the 2005-6 Genesis Platinum.

I have always been interested in infrared, and while there are a lot of grills claiming to be that, this is the real deal. I am not sure what I think so far. My steak cookout this week will tell a lot more. My guess is I will clean it up and see how much I can get for it:). It is fun to try it out, though.

FWIW I like a lot of older things better than the new stuff. We still had a box tv until just a couple weeks ago!

Last edited:
Jon,
Let us know how those steaks come out but be careful...sound like infrared cooking is fast and hot!

Jeff

I play Bluegrass music, prefer bourbon, and usually charcoal (mellowing capacity, you know) just “detailed” a 1997 Genesis 1000 (?) what is this “Tube Amp” you speak of? :cool:;)
All joking aside, that looks like a fun price of equipment!

Those do produce pretty fierce heat and for simple "grilling" of things that require that process they're outstanding. They do not "throttle down" well though and because of how IR works there is no "indirect" cooking. Basically all or nothing. A friend of my brother in law was a very early adopter of one of these and I did not notice the grates to be flimsy. The ones on his were quite heavy SS made like inverted "V" similar to what you see on a DCS grill. (think turning the old stamped Weber stainless grates upside down). The theory is greases flow to the outsides of the grill rather than dribbling into the flames and causing sooty flare ups. Very important on the IR grills

Back