Kettle Fried Chicken Redux

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Last time I tried this recipe, I thought the cook could benefit from a little higher heat via my frustum.

Used the Louisiana seasoned Chicken Fry mix again. However substituted a mayo slather for the batter called for on the package directions.

AULiP3z.jpg

Dredged the thighs in the mix and started skin side down in the JJ. KBB for fire and PNW cherry for smoke.

hh4eZZe.jpg

20 minutes... a light spray with Pam.

BjGfUcE.jpg

And flipped.

VznEzaR.jpg

Done at the 50 minute mark. Internal temp of the thighs averaged 208*.

lMHJFQ9.jpg

Made a fruit salad earlier in the afternoon: fresh pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, tangelos, and grapes.
Drizzled with a reduction of fresh squeezed orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, lemon zest and Mexican vanilla extract.

oF5zHBW.jpg

Time To Eat!!!

RgpdDza.jpg

Better! The mayo and HH did make a difference. Not earthshaking, but a definite improvement over the last cook. The meat was still moist and tender.

Last edited:
I still haven't tried this. Robert, I believe your cook will push me over the edge. The chicken looks great and how about that fruit salad. Nice cooking!

Will be trying the mayo method next time, That fruit salad had to be over the top. Also like your charcoal basket or is that a vortex :D

Last edited:
Looks great Robert!
I've gotta try that mayo trick.

Thanks, Bob! You should give the mayo a try. Doubt that you will be disappointed.

Will be trying the mayo method next time, That fruit salad had to be over the top. Also like your charcoal basket or is that a vortex :D

Thanks, Rich. It's a homemade vortex. Mayo slather is the bomb. Try it with wings and rub of your choice. Crispy and crunchy with moist and tender meat. Be sure to use your poortex.

VIErjnz.jpg

sS29RYU.jpg

Last edited:
I have done this cook but never with mayo which be added next time, But thise wings are killer,along with your fruit salad, now that looks,amazing.

That dinner is awesome and yes we did try the mayo on some chicken and liked it a lot. That salad is to die for, great combo on that.

Back