Thanks Chris and everyone else!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was lucky and found a maroon Genesis 1000 (1997) USA made which really didn’t need much help but a little “detailing” will make it look like almost new!
Through the generosity of the host and members of this forum, the project has been almost without any physical damage(small nick on finger) and a minimum of “harsh” language!
I am almost ready to begin the endcap and firebox painting, Hood has only a tiny bit of enamel damage which will be covered by the cap when reassembled, I need to sort out the igniter installation but, should be able to use the new toy for some ribeyes soon. My birthday is next Sunday so, it might happen then!
Again, thanks to all the members who have given their knowledge so freely!
Chris, this is a great site and thank you for all you do to keep it so!
Tim

Nobody on here Photobuckets any more. They ended their free hosting service. Most use IMGUR now.

Just to be different, I use TinyPic.com. They bomb you with ads like the other sites do as well. But I have had good success with it. Doesn't really matter, but we all want to see pictures!

I frequent another site which doesn’t require the extra layer of “Hooraw”. I like that, I post a lot there, I get enough sales pitch garbage without learning another company’s hoops. If someone simply MUST see something I’ve done, PM me.
The photohosting scam leaves me cold, they change so quickly, I simply don’t care. That is honestly the only shortcoming I see here!

Actually I use Imagur and while I am one of the most critical of the last century stuff we have to go through to put photos here I have not once been bombarded by ads or anything from Imagur. I go there, post, copy the proper links and place them here. Fairly easy. Hate having to do it though.

Awesome find; congrats!

If only you lived closer; I love a good ribeye. I hope you have an awesome Birthday!

Yah, I don't get bombarded with adds of any kind...at least not that I have noticed. I run adblocker plus and maybe that is the reason. But, I too wish we didn't have to use a third party hosting site. Forums with direct uploads are soo much easier to post to.

Yah, I don't get bombarded with adds of any kind...at least not that I have noticed. I run adblocker plus and maybe that is the reason. But, I too wish we didn't have to use a third party hosting site. Forums with direct uploads are soo much easier to post to.

Ain’t that the truth!
Anyway,
Bruce, now you have indeed seen that I have almost completed the project, waiting for the last couple of parts.
Before I do another one of these, I will either borrow or invest in an angle grinder! My forty year old drill just does not have the gumption (never did really) for this much wire brush work! Now I have gotten my feet a little damp, if I find another roadside attraction like one of these, I won’t hem and haw quite so much! The hood is almost perfect, a little chipping on places that don’t really matter, frame is strong, igniter should be here tomorrow along with bars, I will tinker with the “Z” bracket this afternoon but, I think I need to take a day away from it and just look at it!
Oh, I will get the grill in for a long soak today too, I suppose. Then, I should be good. I see why the old Genesis deep box design is kind of sought after' this thing is solid! Impressive casting. My brother in law used to work for an aluminum injection molding company and he looked at it with a deeper understanding that I will ever have!

Last edited:
Yah, I first started with a drill and wire wheel. It took about 1/4th of the box before I decided I needed something different. You will find an angle grinder and wire cup brush to be head and shoulders more capable than a simple drill with wire wheel brush.

NOW, you tell me!
I’m laughing my hair out! Next time I will be armed with a great deal more knowledge! I’m not expecting to do this again unless I found another one that really doesn’t need much. I got pretty lucky on this one. Even my brother in law (whose tongue gets hard when a Harley fires up a half mile away) was more impressed with my project than I’d expected. He doesn’t give a hoot about outdoor cookery and is perversely fond of Kraft Mac and cheese so, we can tell where his heart is.
Anyway, I’m putting this one in the books sometime tomorrow when the bars and igniter are finally installed, burn in scheduled for Tuesday unless I can stand it!
Oh, grates look pretty good save the years of burnt sweet sugar sauces this fellow was wont to use.
Those have soaked but, I’m going to end up with easy off on them!

Back