Linguica

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been doing quite a bit of sausage making and wanted to give Linguica a try. When I first began working down in the North Bay Area, I had many Portuguese friends and co-workers working along side me. One guy in particular used to bring in homemade Linguica and share it with the rest of us. It was delicious. So here, all these years later, I decided to give it a try.

Cut up 3 1/2 lbs of pork butt and 1 1/2 lbs of pork fat. Mixed in K Salt and Instacure #1. Let meat sit in fridge overnight. Next morning I threw in the rest of the seasoning, a boatload of minced garlic, white sugar, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, dried oregano, and dry milk.

enhance

Mixed everything all together and let it chill again for an hour.

enhance

One time through the grinder, very coarse grind.

enhance

Found this nice Portuguese Red Wine and added to the ground meat. Then ran mix through Food Processor for 90 seconds to help the bind.

enhance

enhance

Stuffed my links.

enhance

Let links hang for an hour.

enhance

Hung in the WSM running at 225. Pecan for smoke

enhance

About 2 1/2 hour mark.

enhance

Last edited:
All done after about 45 more minutes.

enhance

Let cool and sliced one up.

enhance

Wow, these were delicious. The heavy load of garlic and that red wine made these pop. Just as good as I remembered them. Fun smoke. Have a good weekend everyone. Thanks for looking.

Never heard of it before, but I want some!
Looks terrific and nothing in the ingredient list that I don't like.
Great pics too!

I absolutely love linguica I grew up eating it and it's something I can eat a couple times a week and never get sick of having it.

Never heard of it before, but I want some!
Looks terrific and nothing in the ingredient list that I don't like.
Great pics too!

You don't know what your missing...I know it's hard to find in your area... Eat it on a toasted french roll with spicy brown mustard and roasted Peppers and onions...Or dice it up and cook with onions and peppers and diced fried Taters
.. Excellent meal for breakfast lunch or dinner, goes great with eggs and Taters in the morning.

Boy did the sight of those sausages make me hungry. Looks like you did a super job of preparing for mix and stuffing.
Since I am planning to jump into sausage making I was wondering what you use for your sausage stuffer.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Eat it on a toasted french roll with spicy brown mustard and roasted Peppers and onions...Or dice it up and cook with onions and peppers and diced fried Taters
.. Excellent meal for breakfast lunch or dinner, goes great with eggs and Taters in the morning.

My wife and I were discussing how we were going to use this batch. Those are some terrific ideas James. Thanks

Since I am planning to jump into sausage making I was wondering what you use for your sausage stuffer.

Mike.... I went with the VIVO stuffer and have really liked it It's served me well for my level of experience.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00OBXZ9EY/tvwb-20

That looks tasty Cliff. I've never heard of it much less tasted it. Thanks for sharing.

Back