New Royal Oak Charcoal

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
I was in Lowes today and noticed that they now have the new Royal Oak Charcoal in stock (the Red and Yellow Bag). Has anyone here tried this new stuff and is there any difference between it and the previous version that was in the all Red Bag? I suspect that the new stuff isn't any different but let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks.

Hey Bryan....I was in the Walmart in Anderson a couple of days ago grabbing a couple bags of the Western Lump. I saw those red and white bags up on the second shelf. Didn't really check them out but they had them. Maybe they'll have them down on the floor next trip. Might be a regional thing around here. How you coping with the smoke?

lump or briquettes?

I let a buddy of mine borrow a kettle while he was in town visiting, and he returned it with half a bag. I saw no discernible difference between it and the old-er stuff (ridge) I had on hand. I am thinking maybe just new packaging, but I really don't know?

Hey Cliff,

The smoke is MUCH better today now that they are starting to get a handle on the Carr Fire. It's now 88% contained and today was the first smoke free day here in a while! I imagine they'll get that fire contained soon. Is it still real smokey in Redding area?

I think the Royal Oak Charcoal in the Red/yellow backs is just a market re-branding thing. Only difference is that the new backs say 100% all natural hardwood and that's it.

I imagine they'll get that fire contained soon. Is it still real smokey in Redding area?

Glad you're getting some relief up there Brian. The smoke in Redding and to the west is still abysmal. It's been a month now. We've got some occasional filtered sunlight today but conditions continue to change hourly. Probably be like this to some extent until we get some rain. Carr Fire is at 93% containment.

Glad you're getting some relief up there Brian. The smoke in Redding and to the west is still abysmal. It's been a month now. We've got some occasional filtered sunlight today but conditions continue to change hourly. Probably be like this to some extent until we get some rain. Carr Fire is at 93% containment.

We even had some smoky haze from the fires in California here in northern Arizona a week or so ago, but it's fine now just lasted a day or two.
Hope all the folks in Cali get some relief soon.

“They” say we are seeing prettier sunsets due to the smoke even on this side of the Great Lakes! I wish it wasn’t happening for all those in danger!

Yeah up here it just depends on which way the wind is blowing. The day after I posted my previous reply, the smoke was so bad here at night that we had to sleep with all the windows closed. Needless to say that made for a night with little sleep..

Been Ok the last several days and it's pretty clear here now. Hear the Carr Fire is at 94% containment and it may be fully contained sometime next week. Of course you folks now have to deal with the smoke from that Hirz Fire..............

Sure wish we could send you folks some of this rain we are getting. Yesterday we were coming home from the store and it started raining so hard I couldn't see the front of the hood on the 4runner and that's a daily occurrence. Flash flood warnings everywhere.

Of course you folks now have to deal with the smoke from that Hirz Fire..............

You might have seen this photo over the weekend. This is a photo of the Pit River Bridge over Lake Shasta. If you squint really hard, you can just make out the bridge structure through the smoke. As of last night the Hirz Fire was, 30,000 acres, 31% contained. Definitely adding to the smoke problem here, but it was better in Redding yesterday and so far today. In keeping with the subject of your thread, our Walmart is down to a few torn open and taped bags of Royal Oak Lump. I asked the kid at check out if they would be receiving any more and he said he doubted it, that it was considered "seasonal". I mentioned as I left that you might tell the higher ups that people do actually bbq year round.

enhance

Back