Kettle rotisserie

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these and what your overall thoughts and impreshions are.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/2290-rotisserie-kit-for-22-inch-charcoal-kettle-grills?product_id=979&merchant_id=3173333&creative=261351819486&target=&placement=&device=m&campaign=1340703502&adgroup=56501315671&source=google-adwords&medium=shopping-campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt5W5kd3y3AIVi4p-Ch1ZyAydEAQYBSABEgJft_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!5468!3!261351819486!!!g!364196954119!&ef_id=V3vQ6AAABG52OEj5:20180816233025:s
There is one on CL I have been eyeballing for a few weeks. The seller is asking $75 but I haven't been able to justify pulling the trigger.

Hate to say, but like many accessories, you'll either love, use it all the time and wonder how you ever did without it......

Or, you'll use it a couple of times the first month, then it'll go into the pile of other unused accessories.

That said, if you can get it for $75, buy it immediately. If you de ide that you don't like it or won't use it much, you should have no problem getting your money back out of it.

Link is far too long for me to comprehend, impreshion has no bearing.
I rotisserie unit is a great piece of equipment, you should have one! Well, that is my attitude as far as equipment may be impressed or expressed.
Sorry, don’t mean to be a jerk but, since I can’t actully read the link, I can’t say.

I would like to see a real pic. Not sure what he means by "faded paint"
The real deal will be porcelain, just like the kettle and should clean up nicely
with a little 0000 and Simple Green. $75 is half price and decent deal.
Roti's are scarce on the resell sites. As DaveW said , easy to get your $$
back out of should you decide to do so.

I don't know if you're asking about a specific brand, or just a spinner in general. I have the Weber for my 22". I don't spin all that often but I wouldn't want to be without one. More oft than not, I spin turkey breasts.

Lowes list the Weber version for $149.

There are $20 off $100 coupons out there that you can find with a few mins googling.
eBay often have PayPalDigitalGifts selling thousands of $100 gift cards for $90.

So you could get one delivered free from Lowes for $120+tax. That's not $75, but then it's brand new and you can return to Lowes if you have issues. That's my plan :)

Or, you'll use it a couple of times the first month, then it'll go into the pile of other unused accessories.

The truth hurts sometimes, Dave.

What's in your pile?

I have a 20" cast iron skillet that I really really wanted. More skewers than I can count. Firebricks. About 30 utensils like forks, burger flippers, sauce brushes, and mediocre tongs. Service trays, hot dog forks, 3 or 4 woks. A few baking/pizza stones. a rotisserie. bags of wood chips. New charcoal baskets, an unused chimney or two. At least a half dozen thermometers

There is a laughable amount of ”I’d use that a lot!” equipment (some of which has not gotten over room temperature) in my garage. My favorite “white elephant” is a fish grilling basket thing, I have moved it to three houses over the thirty five +years since my father bought it, it’s NEVER had a fish in it.
My brother used it once to do a leg of lamb in (rather than tie it) one time.

There is a laughable amount of ”I’d use that a lot!” equipment (some of which has not gotten over room temperature) in my garage. My favorite “white elephant” is a fish grilling basket thing, I have moved it to three houses over the thirty five +years since my father bought it, it’s NEVER had a fish in it.
My brother used it once to do a leg of lamb in (rather than tie it) one time.

So to be fair there's a lot of things I actually use a lot:
charcoal baskets
small and large weber chimneys
weber lighter cubes (white ones in the plastic and foil)
kebob baskets (I prefer these over skewers)
6 firebricks
a couple 12" cast iron skillets
about 3 sets of good grill tongs (weber, lodge, and OXO are my preferred brands), 1 spatula, 3 or 4 ultra cheap tongs I use for moving charcoal
Spray oil
wood paddle grate scraper
weber "triangle" grate scraper
grill covers
old cookie sheets (sheet pans) I use on the genesis

But on the other other hand, I have waaay too many cast iron pieces. Probably 15 or so, when I really only ever use about 4 or 5 of them. The best one for the grill is a large 12" Bobby Flay skillet that I dropped once and the handle broke off. I sprayed oil on the bare cast iron and used a blow torch to season that spot. What's nice is that the side walls on this pan are a little shorter than most skillets, so you can get into it a little better. I use it for veggies mostly. I use it a lot so the seasoning on it is great.

Some things you think you'll use but never do. Other things that you're not sure about turn out to be indispensable. Like Timothy, my garage is full of "have to have" stuff. Lately, I try to think about worst case: I need this, but what if I don't? Can I send it back? Can I sell it easily? Am I OK with it living in my garage? Then I buy it anyway. I'm not the best person to give opinions on justifying a purchase.

I agree with you Lew, there are pieces that I only use once in a while and others that I use a lot.
I could probably get rid of some but, they are paid for and will be used when I need them, or patiently wait to be pressed into service.
The fish thing is now kept for more sentimental reasons. (It’s made it through three garage sales!)
Five (4 large, 1 small) chimney starters? Excessive but, I often do need more than one.
Three sets of charcoal baskets? Again, I sometimes want more than one
Two Pizzaque’s? Well, I had four, it was a good deal and I’ve given away two.
One rotisserie, a second for the 18” might be nice but far from necessary.
Tongs? Fuggetabotit! Probably ten!
Five thermometers. What can I say?
Spare grates for everything of course.

It seems to be that Bruce uses a signe which says (and I paraphrase here)
“Grills are like guns, they each have specific uses.”

This applies to the peripherals we use when grilling as well, what makes things more pleasurable or convenient is of specific value.

The truth hurts sometimes, Dave.

What's in your pile?

I have a 20" cast iron skillet that I really really wanted. More skewers than I can count. Firebricks. About 30 utensils like forks, burger flippers, sauce brushes, and mediocre tongs. Service trays, hot dog forks, 3 or 4 woks. A few baking/pizza stones. a rotisserie. bags of wood chips. New charcoal baskets, an unused chimney or two. At least a half dozen thermometers

Hahaha, can't say that my pile is anywhere close to your's when it comes to accessories. I have a 22" shish kebab ring that a local guy made for me. A couple of roti's for the kettle, even though I've only ever used one at a time. 3 roti's for Weber gassers. God only knows how many grill tool sets and various individual tools like mops, forks, tongs, charcoal rakes, pig tail turners, yada, yada, yada. Then there's the grills that are just sitting around unused, a couple of them still in the box. Almost forgot the KettlePizza that I've used twice, only to turn around and buy a propane powered pizza oven. Only then to turn around and stopped eating pizza due to going on a low/zero carb diet. :)

Twelve coolers, five adlake lanterns, five Coleman lanterns, 17’ Grumman canoe....ad nauseum!
Forty odd serious kitchen knives, twenty pieces in the CI arena, banquet service equipment too. Forty lawn chairs, ten tables, countless small goods!
I think I need to sell everything and start over with an empty garage...Naah, I’ll just get a shed!

Last edited:

Back