18.5” WSM - how many racks of baby backs ribs?

Hey there - going to a bachelor party next week and I offered to bring my WSM and make some ribs for dinner. I am thinking I’ll make 5 racks probably but wanted to get some insights into how feasible this is, and if I’ll need a rib rack?

I’ve made a 2 racks before without issue but this is a big step up. Was going to use minion method (I’ve been modifying if for shorter cooks, filling the charcoal basket with one chimney starter worth of unlit kingsford original briquettes, and removing 14 of them to light and re-add - was thinking for 5 racks, I’d need to do a full chimney + 14 briquettes). Full water pan is planned as well.

Any thoughts or tips? Thanks!

I think I did 7 slabs of St Louis style ribs. 5 baby back should be a piece of cake,but i do believe you will need some sort of rib rack.
I have some racks like in Chris's 3-2-1 method here http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html
I also have the Weber rack. I bought it for my first brisket,because it was too long. You can drape a brisket over it to make it fit the 18. In other words it has more uses than just ribs https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FLRB4OI/tvwb-20
I would look at chris's method above and do a shortened version for baby backs. A chimney of charcoal doesn't sound like enough charcoal to me. Especially with water in the water pan. Myself,i put plenty of charcoal in. Lighting 14 briquettes sounds Ok,and spread them around as in the link above.
I am a big fan of foiling ribs with apple juice/brown sugar/honey,and just realized it also has baby back ribs in the link also.
I would recommend a beer or 2 or 3 in the water pan for a bachelor party :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks guys - going to grab a Weber rib rack or two, should make this a lot easier.

Appreciate the links and help! Going to be plenty of beers passed around, I’m sure we can find a few for the water pan lol

Depending on size, you can roll them and get 4 on each grate.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

18ribs2.jpg

The rolling idea has always intrigued me, thanks for bringing it up. The ribs come off still curled, right? Do I need to do anything special with them for prep (usually I do bbq or mustard and then a rub, mop as needed with apple cider vinegar - do the Texas crutch occasionally but not often)?

I don't foil them when rolled up. Prep them any way you normally would, with mustard/rub or just rub. You can spritz with water/juice/whatever as they cook. When done, I unroll, apply sauce, cut into individual ribs, and serve. I don't return them to the cooker to caramelize the sauce. You get a splotchy spot where the slab overlaps, but the sauce covers that. Good, solid backyard barbecue that's not fancy and tastes good. :wsm:

I don't foil them when rolled up. Prep them any way you normally would, with mustard/rub or just rub. You can spritz with water/juice/whatever as they cook. When done, I unroll, apply sauce, cut into individual ribs, and serve. I don't return them to the cooker to caramelize the sauce. You get a splotchy spot where the slab overlaps, but the sauce covers that. Good, solid backyard barbecue that's not fancy and tastes good. :wsm:

Silly follow up question. Roll first, then mustard and rub, or rub first then roll them?

Back