30+ Year Old Weber One Touch in original carton...Brand New, Never Opened

Paul Finn

30+ Year Old Weber One Touch in original carton...Brand New, I just opened it!!

We received this as a gift in the mid 1980's, and we already had a grill, so it went in the attic. It has been there ever since. We were doing some cleaning and came across it. The carton has never been opened, and is still factory sealed. The carton is marked 71001 Black, and it is a "One Touch". From what I understand, it is a 22.5 inch model although the carton does not specify. A friend told me that something like this could be of some value because of it's age and condition. Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

b6MxHo.jpg

biQKqY.jpg

om1xOd.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up a “Well used” series “F” for ten bucks.
NIB, I’d think some over $150 would be “reasonable”, but. I’m not basing that on anything market driven.
Ask $250! Shoot, it’s friggin mint!
I’m pretty much done buying anything for “stock”
The five pound garage is really pushing maximum density!

If you wanted to break the factory seal on the box, you could nail down the exact year of the kettle by the letter code on the lid vent.

Dating guide: http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

We've got a very comprehensive age guide that covers both charcoal and gas grills: How To Determine The Age Of Weber Grills & Smokers

If as you say it's from the mid-80s, you'll be looking for a single letter stamped onto the lid damper like "F" (1984), "G" (1985), or "H" (1986).

The model number 71001 is a 22.5" kettle: https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=71001

People will pay a premium for new-in-box grills, but on the other hand black is so very common...if this grill was red or chocolate or blue, you'd really have something that people would be fighting over.

I'm debating on whether or not I should open it. What do you think?

If it were me, I would open it. A serious buyer will probably want to know exactly what year it was from. Since it looks like there's some minor water damage on the box, I'd also want to make sure that there is no rust or other damage on the grill inside.

Gee, thanks for doing the research for me Chris! My $10 “well used” series F is an ‘84! Not that I really much care but, it’s good to know. After I get the gasser finished, I need to start the design for the Pizzaque station. I have a lot of time for that.

Lol... now we need an update! Did you open it? If so... what do you know?

FYI: I'm new to posting on this board, but have been scouring boards and learning for months (and have been buying/selling/swapping). I'm still 'new,' but am fairly well versed on the market presently. This isn't like an action figure (Star Wars figure?) or collectible where "in the box" is sought after. You can't see through the box, and the point of having one (even an older, NIB one) is ultimately to display it assembled. I haven't even seen anyone buying or selling "unopened" grills. And as Mr. Allingham says... the black are common. There have been some mint colored 80s/90s kettles that go for $150-$250 pretty regularly... but not the black ones. :-(

I think there is zero harm in opening it to check it out if you haven't already.

And once you do... report back please!

I took everyone's advice and went ahead and carefully opened the box. Despite the outside appearance of the box, all of the contents appeared to be in pristine condition. Please check out the photos and let me know your thoughts. It is an F series from 1984. Thanks!
BGH1sP.jpg

8ul2I8.jpg

Vcm8iA.jpg

hIFWTN.jpg

dUW77d.jpg

opcpjM.jpg

RzrcX3.jpg

nunchJ.jpg

5pwlbw.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I know nothing about it’s value, but I bet those wood handles are worth more than the rest of the grill. They’re sweet.

Back