The best sandwiches in every state

I clicked through them all rapidly and picked the top 5 that jumped out at me

Alabama - Pulled Chicken and white sauce
Arizona - Sonoran Hot Dog
Illinois - Italian Beef
Nebraska - Reuben
Oregon - Fried Chicken Biscuit

And the winner is............. Alabama IMO :)

Thanks Tim!

Sorry Bob, nothin like a grilled Pork Steak between 2 slices of Wonder Bread. Vintage 1950s. :D However, I absolutely devour a New Mexico Green Chili Cheeseburger. Lots of good choices on that list including Florida's Cubano.

Last edited:
Sorry Bob, nothin like a grilled Pork Steak between 2 slices of Wonder Bread. Vintage 1950s. :D
I agree Mr Newby, but a bun works too.

IMGP7874.JPG

As for Illinois and Italian Beef if you get much outside the city and burbs of Chicago people don't know Italian beef from a pot roast. Hell to this day out here people here in Rockford area don't know what a deli is! Go into Chicago or nearby burbs like Skokie or such and you find Deli every other corner. Not here. They don't have a clue about pastrami (what they try to pass of here as pastrami) makes me dry, same with corned beef, disgusting. I miss Chicago

I was surprised that Wisconsin wasn't a bratwurst.Grilled cheese I get but all the others had at least some meat on them.
Open faced roast beef with mashed and green beans would be one of my last meals request.:)

Tim

Not surprised to see a pulled pork sandwich represented for NC, but SC claims it, too, with a different sauce.

In my opinion, they could have chosen (besides pulled pork) a liverpudding sandwich, or a southern-style hotdog with MCOS (mustard, chili, onions, slaw - otherwise known as all-the-way). I'd like to try a real Chicago dog one day.

I'd like to try a real Chicago dog one day.

Rusty Chicago dawgs are easy. Buy some all beef weiners and just gently simmer them in water to keep the snap. ( a good dawg joint steams the buns)
Poppy seed bun, relish, onions, mustard, tomatoes, a- hole burners or sport peppers, pickle wedge, celery salt and please skip the ketchup.

Tim

Rusty Chicago dawgs are easy. Buy some all beef weiners and just gently simmer them in water to keep the snap. ( a good dawg joint steams the buns)
Poppy seed bun, relish, onions, mustard, tomatoes, a- hole burners or sport peppers, pickle wedge, celery salt and please skip the ketchup.

Tim

Couldn't agree with you more about the ketchup! I hate the stuff on hotdogs.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it at home sometime soon.

Be sure to try a MCOS dog too.

Compared to what Bob? Right out of the package or toasted or something other? ( I'm all ears) :)

Tim
I'll confess Tim, I've only had Chicago style dogs here, so maybe they didn't have the proper buns or method for steaming and were a bit soggy.

Back