No gas

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I picked up a Q200 w/stand last night for $20. I went out this morning to give a good look over and find that I am get NO gas to the burners. I have tried both an adapter hose with 2lb tank and a 1lb canister. I have connected and disconnected and went through the proper lighting procedure a couple times. I even took off the burner and sprayed the gas orifice with soapy water to see if any gas was coming out and I am getting nothing.

So, I don't think it is the propane source as I have tried two different sources. It isn't the burner being clogged as I don't get any gas out of the orifice at all. So, that is telling me it is the regulator, valve or the orifice. I stuck a small piece of wire into the orifice and it went in about 3/4" and it felt like it was hitting solid metal on the inside. So, I don't think it is the orifice either.

I suppose I could swap out the regulator with a new hose and regulator to see if that fixes it (I have one on hand). But, even if that fixes it, it means the grill will only accept 20 lb bulk tanks. If it doesn't fix it, then I guess it is the valve. The knob turns easily by the way. But, I guess I could take it apart and see if I can figure out if there is anything stuck in there.

Valve or regulator, which do I go after first??????

By the way, I am picking up a Silver B tonight for $20. Wish me better luck on that one.

Last edited:
Bruce there was a run of the Q200 with known regulator issues (I know I bought one for my oldest daughter when she was in college). Since it is sitting on that Q3xx style cart anyway I used some simple fittings and made it to use a regular 20# tanks and regulator/hose. Not quite as portable anymore but she doesn't care. Anyway for a while Weber knew it had some bad regulators and were replacing them for free. A new regulator and valve assembly is about $35 FWIW

Check the regulator first for sure. They seem to cause more problems than about anything.
Wish I could find a B for $20 right now. I always to do well with those, but not many around right
now and the folks that have them are rather proud of them, even in rough condition. It is really
slim pickens here in KC right now.

OK, I have a new regulator hose and will swap that in. The grill is a 2007 by the way. Not sure if that is in the defective regulator range or not.

Here is my Silver B pickup for tonight. I agree, Silver B's seem to be my bread and butter.

VarbvIq.jpg

tV0S9bE.jpg

MZSn9co.jpg

Last edited:
OK, after some "***" moments, I figured out the problem. Regulator is good, valve is good. I took them both apart and I could blow air through the regulator alone and I could open the valve and blow air through that by itself. So, I thought, hmmm, I put them back together and opened the valve and sure enough, I could blow air through them. So, I figure, hook it back up to the tank and it should work.....NOPE. nothing. Well, it turns out the little tap prong in the connector is missing. That is the thing that opens the check valve in the hose fitting or the 1lb tank that allows propane to flow from the source. Without that tap, the vavlve wont open and allow propane to flow into the regulator. To confirm it was supposed to have that tap, I compared it to my other Q200 (Actually Larry's old Q200) and find that one does have it.

But, then I also see that I need an adapter to get my 3/8" regulator hose to fit the grill valve or I need to find a regulator hose that has the correct connection for the valve which looks to be the 1/4" MIP. But at least I know the deal now.

0SQdQn6.jpg

'Haha, the smoking gun. Though that is not the issue I was referring to. Anyway a quick trip to Menard's and checking the brass fittings you'll find some 1/8" NPT brass fittings that will do the job for you. That regulator simply unscrews from the valve FWIW. I think about $5 in fittings and a regulator and voila it's a mini Q3xx

I found a place to order the fitting. I am getting two for $7 shipped. I tried to get the 3/8" flare to 1/8" MIP fittings at menards, but that was a no go. These 3/8" flare to 1/8" female are even more rare.

I already have the valve and regulator disconnected. The valve has the 1/8" male MIP that I need the adapter for.

My Genesis seems to be a real pearl! A little elbow grease and help from you all and I’m really good now, no strange flanging or connector issues, nuttin’! Looks like the guy might have replaced the regulator and used OEM Weber burners. It should do me proud!

Back