Bruce, your competition LOL

WHOA! $175!!!!! Is that really the going rate in Chi, or just a delusional seller?
I'm guessing the latter.

I would put my worst rehab up against that grill. He didn't do anything to the interior of the cook box. My guess is he painted right over the peeling paint and crud on both the end caps and cook box. I don't like the flat black on the end caps either. He didn't clean the inside of the lid and the outside isn't nice and shiny. The shelf end caps are not cleaned up very well.

It is a good amature effort of rehabbing a grill and one that would be good for someone doing the grill for themselves, but not for flipping IMO.

He is the Chicago area, about 3-4 hours from me, so not really any competition for me even if he was doing a more thorough job.

If he gets $175, I would be really surprised.

https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/sold-weber-genesis-silver/6641696666.html

There seems to be at least a half dozen or so flippers in the Chicago area - none that appear to be Bruce's quality of course. They're selling grills that have been cleaned up nicely (on the exterior at least), but they don't look like "restorations" as such. However, they seem to price them at $150-$300 depending on model. There's enough of these flipper guys that I think they're driving up the cost of regular grills (not cleaned up or rehabbed). Nearly all the Genesis ones that show up (even really old ones) are being priced at $100+, probably because people selling do a quick Craigslist check and see "similar" Webers being sold for $150+ and not realizing those are flips that have at least been cleaned up.

I've been watching for a few months now, and sub-$50 Webers around Chicago seem to be pretty rare and go fast (or else look to be in really rough shape). I did manage to score myself a Silver B natural gas version for $25 last week, but even then when I picked it up the guy said he had several other people lined up who wanted it if I passed on it.

Obviously this guy is not in Bruce quality territory hence the LOL. Delusional? Not sure though. Sadly unlike fleabay you cannot research the sold price only the asking. An item is only worth what a ready willing and able buyer are willing to pay. So i.e. when I price something on flaeabay I typically research sold and completed listings to get an idea. It's too bad CL doesn't have this function. It's how home appraisals work, even things like Kelly Blue Book.
So this person on CL I saw may ask $175 but who knows he may let it go for the first person with $75 in cash and a pickup truck.

I have wondered before about how much my flips change the market.
But, like the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

My thought that if people wanted to pay for a new $700 grill they would. They are clearly looking for a good used one when searching for used grills that they can buy that they don't have to replace everything. I think the biggest affect our rehabs do is drive down the prices of those selling off their used, un-cleaned, unfixed grills....which is a net positive for us, because those are the grills we need for our Rehab candidates.

Here in the Phoenix / Prescott area on CL most of the genesis are in the $125 and up price range along with the silver Bs. Anything under a $100 disappears pretty fast and you don't see a lot of them either. That's why I stopped refurbing grills for resale. Can't pay $125-150 for the grill and put $75-100 into it and sell it for enough even to get your money back. Those that I see in good shape and the sellers are asking over $200 sit forever.
Just the round trip to phoenix from my house is about 250 miles and adds about $30 just for the gas. So a $75 dollar grill is now $105 if you can find a $75 grill worth restoring.

Yah, If I was in that kind of market, I wouldn't be doing much rehabbing either.

Hey, that is my grill listed in Chi..........j/k....That area is too cold for me to live in.

I just started looking at weber grills in the DFW market about two weeks ago and it has been interesting.
So far I have ran across 3 or so for free (I got one of them.)Want to finish working on it to see if I want to do any more. I figure fall I may see more as people start to clear their patios!
Then you also see those who are asking $300 for a Silver that is in bad shape. Guess they want to get something back from what they spent?

Maybe he accidentally added and extra 0 on the end?
I mean wow!
I've seen that one pop up several times this summer at the same price, so I don't think it's accidental.

It's hard to imagine someone really believing a 15 year old grill would be worth that much. Maybe he knows it's high but he's just waiting for an underinformed buyer to come along.

Yah, I see crazy adds like that pop up from time to time. It just makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

I see several people on CL trying to sell the same crappy grill all summer long. THey keep renewing the listing every couple weeks. I guess I can see a guy doing that with a grill he thinks is worth $500, but I see some guys doing that with grills (usually kettles) that are only listed for $20-$40

Back