Are these old kettles worth any thing?

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
I stumbled onto 2 old kettles this weekend.

The brown and the avacado only.

BSjaELvh.jpg

23M8nN6h.jpg

22O0TQNh.jpg

I am not quite sure how much of time, effort and $$ is worth
being put into these. My hope is, as is with all my projects
is, to be able to save some old Webers from the scrap heap,
and hopefully make a little pocket change in the process.

These are both 73-76's. Both have twist on ash catchers,
both are on plastic wheels. I have never messed with any
this old, and I am not quite sure what the market is for grills
in this condition. As of now I plan to add new upper and lower
grates, the rubber foot, new wooden handles, all to the both of
them, and a lot of elbow grease scraping and shining them up inside and
outside. I will need to sell for at least $75 each to make it worth
my while. Is that crazy with the bruises they both have???

Last edited:
The $75 selling price would not attract me nor would the serious bruising. There are times to know when to walk away, this might be one of those times.

I can see how they both caught your eye. I particularly like the Avacado but probably pass at $75 but mainly because I just don't need another 22. From what I can see of it, you sure did a nice job on the red in the background.

Looks like at this point, I will scrap all plans, and do whatever I have to try and get $25 or $30 each. I can't complain.
I swung 2 blue performers also, so it all works out.

The brownie is pretty rough, but what I can see of the avocado it's not too bad.
If the twist on ash catchers are in very good condition there's probably a market for them alone.

FWIW, some people would probably jump all over either one, or both of those, over at the Weber kettle Club. Oh, and that's talking about "as they currently are", without any sprucing up or the replacing of any parts (including grates)

Last edited:
A member here that will remain nameless unless he cares to speak up, offered to buy one of these today.
We agreed to all terms and things were good to go. I came home this evening to find out that my wife had
decided to "help" me buy selling it on letgo while I was at work. For about 1/3 of the price I had negotiated
I might add. My apologies again sir. :(

A member here that will remain nameless unless he cares to speak up, offered to buy one of these today.
We agreed to all terms and things were good to go. I came home this evening to find out that my wife had
decided to "help" me buy selling it on letgo while I was at work. For about 1/3 of the price I had negotiated
I might add. My apologies again sir. :(

Well, I was the guy who thought he finally had an avocado grill lined up at a fair price. Don’t feel bad, Dave! It is like I told you, my wife would be as happy to know she dodged another old grill as yours probably was to get rid of one:rolleyes:!

If anybody sees another avocado, 22 or 18, could you let me know? There are a couple stratospherically priced ones on eBay, but I am not that desperate :eek:!

Luck is not on my side this week. I have been seeing the same kettle at the same guys house for almost a year now.
I look at it every day driving to and from work. I have looked for the owner every time, and he is never home. Today,
as I am driving by, I see him pulling in his driveway. Going to fast to stop, I turn around and head right back. I get
out and approach him. Nice guy and all. Tell him I see his kettle and that it would look good next to mine. Ask him
he'd sell it. He says sure, and asks how much. I give a quick once over. I give him an offer, he gladly accepts, and
I head to my car to get him some $$ and pop the back open. As he is carrying the kettle to me, one of the legs snaps off.

XooRyGsh.jpg

ENhHdu8h.jpg

Now what?
Weld?
Drill, jb weld, add bolts?
Other ideas?

I may be getting an SSP frame this weekend. Anyone ever mount a regular kettle in one of those?

Luck is not on my side this week. I have been seeing the same kettle at the same guys house for almost a year now.
I look at it every day driving to and from work. I have looked for the owner every time, and he is never home. Today,
as I am driving by, I see him pulling in his driveway. Going to fast to stop, I turn around and head right back. I get
out and approach him. Nice guy and all. Tell him I see his kettle and that it would look good next to mine. Ask him
he'd sell it. He says sure, and asks how much. I give a quick once over. I give him an offer, he gladly accepts, and
I head to my car to get him some $$ and pop the back open. As he is carrying the kettle to me, one of the legs snaps off.

XooRyGsh.jpg

ENhHdu8h.jpg

Now what?
Weld?
Drill, jb weld, add bolts?
Other ideas?

I may be getting an SSP frame this weekend. Anyone ever mount a regular kettle in one of those?

Dave,

You sure come by old kettles! A yellow one is very cool even if you have to do a patch. Sounds like good suggestions. If you get tired of it, let me know!:D

Jon

Jon, I have never owned a 70's kettle in my life until last weekend. LOL
A local guy has first dibs on the yellow, but I will let you know if he opts out.

Back