Weber Charcoal Storage Box

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
My Dad must've bought this box in the 1970's. I've had it for some time and had to put it to use yesterday when the bottom of a bag of Kingsford gave out. It is not pretty, but it is functional and it is WEBER. It is NOT waterproof, so I need to put it under cover when not in use.

DkWNENOX4AALrKr.jpg

DkWNFQHXoAAe19l.jpg

Hi:
1970's is right. Mine was watertight, but I think the hinged part of the lid was continuous. Looking at the photos, that may no longer be the case with yours. Perhaps a piece of duct tape on the underside of the hinge will solve the issue. Bob may have something there with the armor all. Never was shiny to begin with.

Black Gorilla tape might look a little nicer than gray duct tape but, that’s just me.
Yes, Armor All will spiff it up nicely!
Cool find,

We call that "patina." Not something that I want to remove or obscure.

This box has a two piece lid. It was never designed for exposure to precipitation.

You are correct that it was a 2 piece unit, but it was waterproof and mine did quite well in New England winters outside. Base was solid and the lid had the hinged end so you could pour charcoal directly into the grill. I always took the whole lid off to add charcoal. Only drawback was you wanted to check wind direction and be on the lawn when pouring the charcoal into the bin. Never had any water issues between rain and melting snow. That's why I referenced using tape on the hinge to restore that integrity. Was a great item for frequent use. The handles made pouring into the grill a lot easier than a bag with shifting contents.

Last edited:
Hi:
1970's is right. Mine was watertight, but I think the hinged part of the lid was continuous. Looking at the photos, that may no longer be the case with yours. Perhaps a piece of duct tape on the underside of the hinge will solve the issue. Bob may have something there with the armor all. Never was shiny to begin with.
Duct tape fixes everything.

Back