New WSM 14 from ebay problem

Louis NYC

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, just bought a new WSM 14 on ebay (Brand New in Box).

When it got here, the box was obviously damaged pre-shipping because there was already a huge hole on the box tapped up with a thick cardboard prior to shipping. My fear was realized when i opened it up and saw one of the bottom vents ( 1 of the 3) was folded all the way inward. Seeing this damage, i fear that the bottom section/mid-section/the lid may have been bent in shipping causing one or 2 of them to be out of round. I laid them on top of each other and can feel a little bit of wiggle between the bottom section and the mid + the mid and the lid.

When you guys got your WSM's new, how perfect did the 3 sections fit on top of each other?

(i know that after cooking a few things, the oil will form a good seal, but i'm worried if i have to refund this thing before i do a test run.

Some movement between those section can be normal. Usually when they're out of round they don't fit together at all, or they do fit together but with large gaps between the charcoal bowl and the middle section where they meet. If you don't notice these things, you're probably OK. Also, you can check for out of round by using a measuring tape and checking the diameter of each piece in several positions--12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock--and if each measurement is close the part is OK.

The bent vent damper is a big deal. You'll have to drill-out the rivet and replace the damper with a new one + screw + nut...not particularly easy to do. If you bought this grill from an authorized dealer, they would usually replace that charcoal bowl in its entirety for free, but not sure that will happen with an eBay purchase.

It was listed as brand new in box. The seller refunded me $25 and I got in on the ebay 15% off anything deal. Came out to $115 after all discounts and cash back. I'll deal with the replacement parts on my own.

After 1-2 cooks the grease should help form a tight seal right?
What do u guys do if 6our pieces are out of round?

Back