WSM Pot Roast

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hello All,
I have 2 3# Rump Roasts that are VERY lean.
I wanted to try them on the WSM, so I looked at Pot Roast a la Stogie.
Chris did a great job with this cook and post, but it's 11 years old, and 7-bone roasts are not to be found unless the butcher is your brother-in-law. ;-)

What suggestions do you have for smoking Rump Roast on the WSM?

You're welcome Charles.
Not sure if any roasts discussed are for the pot roast style of cook.
Lean cuts like the rump and round are usually cooked to rarish and sliced thin for sandwiches.

If you wrap a brisket in foil at the stall and let it go too long, it comes out just like pot roast. (Yes, I have made that error.) I would think any lean cut would come out the same, especially if you add a little liquid and mirepoix to the foil pack.

Jeff

Talking about chuck or pot roast, you should try grilling one .:cool:
Hot & fast indirect on a kettle (or upper grate on a WSM with no water pan). 1- 2 hrs @ 350- 400 than put it in a foiled pan for another hour.( add some liquid like beer or BBQ sauce)
Some really fine sliced beef IMO.

Tim

Talking about chuck or pot roast, you should try grilling one .:cool:
Hot & fast indirect on a kettle (or upper grate on a WSM with no water pan). 1- 2 hrs @ 350- 400 than put it in a foiled pan for another hour.( add some liquid like beer or BBQ sauce)
Some really fine sliced beef IMO.

Tim

Gosh, that sounds good, Tim! Easy, too.

Well, they came out looking good and tasting good, but tough.
This cook was darn near a train wreck.
The recipe called for 200* for 5 to 6 hrs. or 220 to 250 for 4 hrs.
The TVWB.com charcoal table says 2 chimneys of Kingsford will give 5 hrs @ 250, so I fired up 2 chimneys. Dumb move.
It was near 400 when I put the top on. Had a HELL of a time getting the temp down into the 230's, and that's as low as it would go.
Notes for next time: Start w/ 1 chimney or less for 5 hrs @ 200.
Any comments that I can add to my notes for next time??

g2BnAcQ.jpg

PQkNf5Y.jpg

Sorry to hear that.
Did you slice it thin across the grain?
I ask because your pic shows it cut with the grain.

PQkNf5Y.jpg

Sorry to hear that.
Did you slice it thin across the grain?
I ask because your pic shows it cut with the grain.

PQkNf5Y.jpg

Bob, you always set me straight. I did slice thin, but not against the grain.
I'll try that now and let you know...hold on...
Across the grain is going to be good! Not nearly as tough, almost tender.
I got's a lot to learn about smoking roast beef!

Thanks again, Bob!!

BTW, I made some CopyCat Arby's Horsey Sauce to go on the buns with the beef.
Delicious!!! I only ate 4 sammies. :-(
In the top picture, that roast is GONE!
Just out of stubborness, I'm gonna havta do that again some time.

I like the Alton Brown explanation of why grain orientation is important. Don’t have the link handy but, the garden hose was hilarious!

For what it’s worth, in my family “Pot Roast” meant braised product. “Roast Beef” was standing rib roast of beef, what has turned into the generic term of “Prime Rib”, usually a misnomer. But, choice given proper attention does render some magnificent results! I’ve not bought a “Prime” standing roast in my life!
Standing roasts were big celebration feasts, I mean BIG! Six-eight ribs with all the Christmas trimmings, a table of twelve to sixteen, many bottles of wines and spirits, magnificent dessert, tired children and “food coma”! Memories!
Oh, and dinner was never before 6:00. We did not “dress” for it but, celebrations were still coat and tie though.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, in my family “Pot Roast” meant braised product. “Roast Beef” was standing rib roast of beef, what has turned into the generic term of “Prime Rib”, usually a misnomer.

Same here. The "Pot" in Pot Roast is the giveaway, innit? You put meat and mirepois in a big cast iron pot with some liquid, put the lid on and let it go.

In these parts, "shoulder clod" is the cut that's typically smoked for barbecue (the clod at Kreutz' is legendary). The clod is large, but parts of it are also good for pot roast. I've never done one, but since it's a big hunk of beef, I'd guess that you smoke it pretty much like a brisket. There is no pink in the Kreutz clod.

Jeff

Back