WSM 22 Shut Down??

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Al What is the best way to shut down a WSM 22"..Mine was running hot after 2 hrs. I tried with the lid off, lid on all vents closed. I was cooking with a rotisserie temps were 350.

Thanks Dan

I just leave lid on and close all vents, the temps start coming down in a few minutes, I always have charcoal left that I re use. This is a standard 22, no gaskets, original door.

Leave the lid on, it will come down. If youleave the lid off, the fire is getting more than enough oxygen to keep burning until the fuel is spent. The only time I let mine burn out is end of season before a good cleaning. I always use fresh fuel for smoking, then when I close the vents down, I can use the partially used coal for the kettle. Using the vents to your advantage is really what the design is all about, cook, close, shake, re use. I have not fired a full chimney of fresh in years!

If you have a 22" kettle grill, remove the WSM smoker stack, and place the kettle lid on the smoker bowl with all vents closed. The reduced air space should extinguish the fire quicker.

With that said, I am assuming a 22" kettle lid will fit on a 22" smoker bowl, since my 18" kettle lid fits my 18" smoker bowl.

Hi Al What is the best way to shut down a WSM 22"..Mine was running hot after 2 hrs. I tried with the lid off, lid on all vents closed. I was cooking with a rotisserie temps were 350.

Thanks Dan

I do alot of HH cooks and usually it takes an hour to feel warm (all vents closed with the lid on)
Me thinks you have an out of round condition or you just need to build up more gunk.

Tim

Back