New smoker, 22" vs. ? ??

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
I am currently the proud owner of a WSM 22"
I have had it for about 5 years and love it. Yes it's big but for family smokes, it's great. Also have an old Brinkman about 15 years old and beginning to develop rust holes. I'd like to replace it with another WSM hopefully to be found on CL. Here's my dilemma. Do I go for the 14 or the 18.5". I'm currently leaning towards you the 14. It's just my wife and I so when I want to smoke small amounts this seems ideal. Also, it's smaller and lighter than the 22 and would use a lot less fuel. Of course, this is all subject to availability on CL. Thank you for all of your thoughts.

I have all 3 sizes and the 14 gets the most use by far. I can do 10 pound pork butts no problem. The 14 uses very little fuel and is easy to move around.

If your not having much luck on CL finding one check Target and Walmart when they start phasing out the BBQ stuff for the season. I bought a second 14 WSM Two years ago from Walmart in the fall for 100 bucks.

I now have just an 18 and for most of my uses it’s fine, I might consider 14 if I could get it for the right price. I do certainly understand the “fuel hog” aspect of the 22” which is why I sold mine. I needed to make space for charcoal storage this fall! That and the simple fact that I do not need that much real estate, even doing a barbecue feast for 20 annually, I’ve never needed that much space, the 18 is just right for most of my needs.

Thanks to both Tim and Dustin. As mentioned I'll continue to follow CL and local yard sales to see what I can find. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

I have the 22 and 14. Mostly I use the 14 as it's just me and my wife. I'm almost 77 and lugging the 22 out is a chore. It's gotta go and I'll get back the 18.5 I gave to my daughter. I think either the 14 or 18 would work in your case and the 18 is easier to find because it's been out forever. If I only had one it would be the 18.5.

Bargain 14's are tough to come by. More than likely you will find a dozen 18's under $100 before you find one 14 under $75.
I'd grab the first decent 18 you find under $100 then keep looking for a cheap 14. You can always resell the 18 for what you
gave for it, provided that it is in decent shape, and under $100 as I mentioned. I have all 3, and would recommend keeping all
3 as they each serve a purpose.

Thanks to Lew and Dave for the input. It is very helpful. As mentioned, I have seen a number of 18.5s and zero 14s on CL. As I'm getting a little long in the tooth I will certainly take the suggestions to heart.

On another note, my apologies to all for posting this thread in the wrong forum. I'll be more diligent in the future.

John, no apology necessary. We just hope you got the info you need. Good luck with your search. Dustin had a good suggestion about end of summer sales. We never get them in Fl. but you're very close to that time in Ct. You might find a deal on a new 14 in a few weeks.:wsm:

John,
I also have a 22" and love how it can handle anything you throw at it. If WSMs are hard to come by in your area, might I suggest building own minI WSM. If you have a smoky joe gold or silver (weber charcoal grill) you're already over half way home, and the build will only cost about $30 +/- and about 30-45 minutes of your time. They are great little smokers and there is a ton of info to be found on how to make one on this website alone.
Just a thought, and good luck
Tim

Right now there are 3 18's on Craigs list in my area. The cheapest 125$ No 14's or 22's.
I got my 18 off of craigslist barely used for 200 with a lid hinge (75 bucks new) Garage door handles on the sides already installed (probably at least 30 dollars new),and an extra grate under the charcoal. What a deal :cool:
I think the 18 is the perfect size. It is very easy on charcoal. Holds temp extremely well for at least 12 hours if you load it up. I keep seeing threads about problems getting 14's to hold temps for long cooks. I don't own a 14 so I can't talk from experience.
I believe if you use an 18 after using a 22 you will be extremely happy with the charcoal savings. While I don't have a 22 either,all you gotta do is compare them side by side in a hardware store. the 22 is a monster even compared to the 18.
I close the vents on my 18 as soon as i am done,and it is pretty amazing how quick the fire goes out,and how much charcoal is often left over. There was a thread a while back about using that left over charcoal,and i was surprised to read how many throw that out. I have a metal bucket i put that used charcoal in,and have done short cooks (ribs) entirely with leftover charcoal.
I think you will also see more 18's at contests.

Thought it would be nice if I ended the threat. The other day I purchased a gently used 14". Smoked a chicken on it the other evening. Now I'm looking for mod suggestions but that's in another thread. Thanks to all of you who took time to read my post.

Back