temperature control - how fussy are you?

Anne M.

TVWBB Pro
I've seen lots of posts and stuff online with exact temperatures for this and that and people worrying about 10 or 20 degrees out (in Fahrenheit, so that's only a couple degrees Celsius).
What temperatures are you all aiming for?
How often do you adjust vents, fiddle around with whatever?

Me, when I just got the WSM (14.5"), I started off with worrying about the temperature quite a bit.
These days, I hardly worry and only make very small adjustments.
It's more the start set up:
Winter: either no water pan at all, or no water in the pan and a bit more charcoal (lump) to start off with
Summer: waterpan with water, unless doing chicken. Less lit charcoal (lump) to start off with. Needless to say, it gets hot here in summer (110 oF shade teperature is no exception)

I do check the end temperature of the meat with a thermopen.
According to the rules, my chicken is always overcooked, but always moist and tender.
Obviously, I am much more fussy about my steaks (i like rare, maybe medium rare). For big meats: I like cut instead of pulled

So, what do all of you do?

On my WSM's , I range between 230 and 250. If the smoker wants to settle in between those two temps, I let it go. And I don't worry too much about it unless it falls out of that range. That seems to be where mine want to cook.

On my stick burner, I range from 250 to 300, and it never " settles in " , its either moving up or down.

Hello TVWBB Super Fan,

No longer fussy about pit temperatures. Now using a Flame Boss to keep things somewhere close, close is good for pit temps. What matters the most here is: what meat....then what temp to set the stoker.......the meat/etc temp determines when the food is ready & done, good to serve. I keep the Maverick ET-732 close by to monitor the pit temp, no need to adjust anything. When the meat/etc hits the golden temp, get the silverware ready.

Regards,
Craig,H in La PIne

I us3d to chase the ten degree window but, found it more frustrating than fun so, I’m pretty good with a twenty-five degree swing anymore. The other day I was more pressed for time than I’d have liked so, I let the 18run a little hotter, 250-275ish. The resulting butt (and chuck roast) were maybe one of the best I’ve ever done! The ten pound butt was on the money about nine hours in. I grabbed the bone and it came out clean as a whistle! I might just opt for that slightly higher heat method for butts from here on out!

I'm far less fussy about it than I used to be. If my target is 225F I'm generally happy as long as it's in the 200F-250F range. I won't make drastic adjustments unless it's 50F or more away from my target. I pay more attention to the velocity of change than I do the specific temperature.

I'm ok with 25 or sometimes more above, but only 10 below target.
My target temp is almost always in the 250-260 range.

My mini tends to run a little hot at times. It usually runs 250 -270 and that's fine. I used to chase temps to keep it range, but not much anymore as long as it stays below 300 and above 225 I'm happy.

My 18.5" WSM always settled in @ 275 W/ an empty foiled pan since day one with minimum muss or fuss. ( reading at the top vent)
Some days depending on sun or wind or cold it would climb to 300 or drop to 250, but normally I would just let it ride and for the most part it evened out.

I'd rather adjust a cook with timing compared to worrying about keeping a precise temp.:)

Tim

Interesting replies :cool:
So it looks like most of us just keep an eye on the temperature, but more or less let the WSM settle itself (withing certain parameters).
I think my approach these days is quite a lot like Timothy

I'd rather adjust a cook with timing compared to worrying about keeping a precise temp.:)

Tim

I used to be super fussy. I'd go fiddle with the vents if I was 5 degrees of target. My offset would respond to vent changes almost immediately. My WSM likes to drift slowly and the final result of a vent change might not be known for hours. I know ballpark where it's going to end up for certain settings. If my goal is 225. I generally want it on the high side of that. 215 I'll make a vent change. I won't worry about the high side until maybe 245 to 250. If I wanted 225 and it settled in at 243, I'm not messing with it. If I'm cooking at 275 I'll start worrying at 285, but I won't worry if I'm down to 255. So I guess now I'll say I'm kind a fussy but no longer crazy.

It really depends on what I'm cooking, where, and for whom.

Comp style ribs or a brisket? You bet I have it dialed in to a 10-20 degree window; trying to be as surgically precise as possible.

At home with most other pork/poultry...I'm a little more liberal with things. Just as long as the fluctuations are gradual and not rapidly going from 450 to 175, up and down...you'll be fine.

A good 2 probe digital thermometer can be your best friend or your worst enemy. If you light the WSM correctly and let it slowly rise to the desired temp you can keep it there for a long while. If you try a rapid increase, I find you'll be fiddling a lot more. Just my $0.02

All that said...a good rule to live by in the backyard is: "Hotter won't hurt it" ;)

I'm not fussy at all. I'll smoke anywhere between 250ish to 350ish. The progress of the cook and my target time will determine whether I just let it go, speed things up or slow things down.

It looks like almaost everyone has gone through the same motions as myself.
Very finnicky to start of with, and a lot more relaxed after a number of cooks !

Good thread.

I stopped worrying if it's 25 degrees hotter, because that will probably only be for a little while.

I come from a process control instrumentation background where being off a degree F is an upset. Old ways are hard to break, so I run a Stoker and can reasonably expect no more than +/- 2 degrees F on the 22 WSM. But the kettle has no controls nor thermometer. Go figure ;)

It looks like almaost everyone has gone through the same motions as myself.
Very finnicky to start of with, and a lot more relaxed after a number of cooks !

Rather like the first times one drinks bourbon, you pay lots of attention at first, ten years later it’s a different thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I come from a process control instrumentation background where being off a degree F is an upset. Old ways are hard to break, so I run a Stoker and can reasonably expect no more than +/- 2 degrees F on the 22 WSM. But the kettle has no controls nor thermometer. Go figure ;)

Details can drive you a bit nuts!

I am pickier than most and probably a little "nuts+. However, like Bob I was in a precision profession. 20 years of Navy fling will do that to a guy but it keeps you alive. AND, you have to be a little nuts to land on an aircraft carrier. Age has not changed that. :D

Back