How high should I bid?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
There is an online auction in my area beginning sunday night. They have a E/W burner Genesis E320 with the extra side burner and it has almost no rust in the cabinet that I could see. The burners look good, the flavorizers are getting a bit ragged but still have life and the CI grates look like they have some metal gone but are still solid. It looked like the cookbox exterior and end cap exteriors are all in great shape and should just need some minor cleaning.
The bid is already up to $67.50 so this grill might skyrocket out of my ball park, but if I can get it for not too much more, it would make a quick and easy flip and I have found that these E3xx grills are more desireable around me than the Silver B/C's and Genesis 1000-5000's.

The only thing I saw really wrong with it was two things. First, the previous owner never took the protective tape off the chrome trim on the cabinet doors....it will take Goof Off to get it off at this point, but no big deal. Second, the little collars on the lid handle where it bolts to the lid are in pretty bad shape... Probably something I would like to change out if I was flipping it. It just looks bad.

The grill looks black in the photos, but it is really green.

I have flipped three other E3xx grills this summer and got over $300 for each of them. How much would you guys limit your bid to?
Keep in mind I have five Genesis 1000's that need my rehab attention as well. Hahaha.

QXid2Ge.jpg

gTbnauh.jpg

oeOU5G5.jpg

zHK1Qyg.jpg

FdAjgwN.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the KC market really liked these, but WOW, if you are getting north of $300 then your market
is even crazier for them. For me personally here in KC, I'd drop $150 for that in a heart beat. Spend an
hour detailing and down the road for $250.

As far as I know, you can not buy the collars for the handle separate. Its one package, and will run
you about $40-$50 to replace. Also, check the igniter. Those are notorious for failure. $25 to replace
those.

Well you're looking at grates, bars, time, labor for a flipper perhaps it's coming really close to the top end. For a keeper, different story

I tried the igniter and couldn't hear the spark, but I have had pretty good luck getting that style to work with a new battery or some adjusting.

I actually think I could put the grill to good working condition for very little. But, I know that reusing the grates and flavo bars will drop the resale price a bit. The current bid is still $67.50. I might go up to $100 on it.

I would think 100 bucks would be a good limit. What a goofball not to take off that blue tape.

Yep, seems like the grill was pretty well cared for over its lifetime and maybe he is one of those people that don't remove that protective tape from appliances and electronics when they first buy them. My daughter is like that. LOL. She bought a new LED tv a couple years ago and didn't take the tape off the outside border for a year. One day when I was there alone, I took it off. I never heard anything about it.

Yah, while the grill is in good shape already, I have to worry about finding something that I didn't see on initial inspection. I have to admit that I didn't really look under the hood as well as I should have. Plus, I will still have to put several hours into it. Taking it apart and cleaning it out. I also have my five Genesis 1000's waiting for my attention as well. Two or three will probably wind up being parts grills though.

I will just have to wait and see how it goes. It may climb way out of my price range and the decision will be made for me. It is at $72.50 now and with 10% buyers fee and 6% sales tax, it is closer to $85.

I was afraid somone would say that. I just bid and have the winning bid right now at $77.50 with a max bid of $88.00. THat doesn't include the 15% for taxes and buyers fees.

Not knowing your market it's hard to say. Here the sidewinder 3xxs sell quick for high $200s or low 300s if in good shape. We have a 2009 E320 that we use the snot out of and I just replaced the cast iron grates (found brand new Weber's for $25 with shipping). Old ones were showing a little rust and that's all that's been replaced. Very stout grills.
Here if in good shape I would go as high as $150.

Rich, where did you find new Weber grates for the E3xx grills for $25 w/shipping?

I tried the igniter and couldn't hear the spark, but I have had pretty good luck getting that style to work with a new battery or some adjusting.

I actually think I could put the grill to good working condition for very little. But, I know that reusing the grates and flavo bars will drop the resale price a bit. The current bid is still $67.50. I might go up to $100 on it.

I'd be concerned about reusing the grates. Those have a lot of rust and the cast iron is porcelain enameled and if that porcelain flakes off into the food not a good thing. The set I have on my gen 2000 did the same thing and I took my angle grinder and removed all the surface porcelain where food would come in contact with the grate. Then I got some food grade flaxseed oil and seasoned the grates about three times. Did that three years ago and since then just seasoned them a couple of more times. Real PITA to get that porcelain off but it was worth it.
The grates look like new and cook the same.

I'd be concerned about reusing the grates. Those have a lot of rust and the cast iron is porcelain enameled and if that porcelain flakes off into the food not a good thing. The set I have on my gen 2000 did the same thing and I took my angle grinder and removed all the surface porcelain where food would come in contact with the grate. Then I got some food grade flaxseed oil and seasoned the grates about three times. Did that three years ago and since then just seasoned them a couple of more times. Real PITA to get that porcelain off but it was worth it.
The grates look like new and cook the same.

Yes, that is why I was so happy to come across not just one but two sets of original, uncoated Weber cast iron grates for the classic Genesis. Although obviously old and kept here humid South Florida they were both very easily buffed back to clean. A little seasoning and away we go!

2e68mrr.jpg

Can’t say the same for the three sets of porcelain coated cast iron I have stacked up in my shed - all with flaking porcelain :p...I hope I can also successfully remove the rest of the porcelain and use these. Some say it is almost impossible and not worth the effort.

Well, it went for $175. I guess a good deal if you were just going to clean it up and use it. But out of my range for a rehab candidate.

Probably worked out for the best since you have a crew of others to restore right now also. :)
But I have to tell you, since I bought my first one I keep seeing some really good deals out there and keep telling myself to hold off until I get this one restored to see if I want to take on any other one. Missed out on another free silver B today (by 20 mins!) that looked to be in pretty good shape and less rust than mine. Oh well.

I almost looked into this one, but again I need to hold off!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/311424246278493

Probably worked out for the best since you have a crew of others to restore right now also. :)
But I have to tell you, since I bought my first one I keep seeing some really good deals out there and keep telling myself to hold off until I get this one restored to see if I want to take on any other one. Missed out on another free silver B today (by 20 mins!) that looked to be in pretty good shape and less rust than mine. Oh well.

I almost looked into this one, but again I need to hold off!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/311424246278493

My wife would think you are very wise:

wvvfva.jpg

24b0s5i.jpg

x2t453.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, Joh, when do you even have time to use one grill, much less 10?

COwens: I think you were wise to pass on that Facebook grill. I think you would have had a tough time getting all that stainless clean, much less the hood that has been tempered.

Jon.....WOW!!! That is awesome! Plus all the weber grill covers look so sweet. :)
But I am not sure I would know where to start with all of them.

Yea i was worried about the hood myself! Plus I don't know where I would put it right now (I have a fence replacement project I am wanting to do also and have 160' of lumber laying around!)

Back