Ryan's Genesis Silver B "Cape Grill" Resto

Ryan RS in Mass

TVWBB Fan
Here's a thread dedicated to my restoration of my recently purchased Genesis Silver B.
Someone on here can tell me exactly what model it is, I'm sure, but I will be looking into it when I have a chance to check the tag.

My mom and my wife and I recently purchased a place on Cape Cod with a nice deck.
We want the ability to grill regularly and my mom is already familiar with the Genesis design and hardware, so naturally I wanted a Genesis for the Cape.

After educating myself here, I started looking around for a Genesis Silver B.
I found the grill on Offerup, the only time I've ever used the app, but I saw others here had success purchasing grills off of it, so I tried it out with good results.

$60 later and I have our grill for the Cape from a super nice guy a few towns away from me.

Great overall condition - everything works - it needs new cotter pins to hold the pins in the lid.

2v2JqK2Y5x9jnnR.jpg

A huge bonus - stainless grates were already installed!
Just what I want for Cape use!

The flavorizer bars are only in OK condition rust-wise.
My plan is to run them as is for now and replace them as soon as they get a little bit worse, probably next year.

The inside of the box needs to be scraped and cleaned out, but nothing major.
The burners are in good condition and work well.

2v2JqK27gx9jnnR.jpg

The side panel is in good condition and all knobs work.
I love that Weber grill chart with the food temps. Just a design feature I've always liked.
I will be repainting the side of the grill box/lid to eliminate that minor corrosion and make it look new again.

2v2JqK2RWx9jnnR.jpg

Again, the side of the box is in good condition with only minor corrosion, but I will be repainting it.

2v2JqK2iFx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JqK2Ddx9jnnR.jpg

The tables are in good overall shape with just minor discoloration.
I will be reviewing the tips here on TVWBB for how to get them to look brand new again as that is something that is important to me.

The rack is the rustiest part of the grille and needs to be painted in some areas.
My plan at this time is to remove the screws, wire wheel the rust off of it, hang it up and repaint the whole rack to make it look new again.

2v2JqK2TNx9jnnR.jpg

When I went to get the grill it was in much better condition that I expected, but I am looking forward to making it look new again and then to bring it to the Cape and grill on it for many years to come!

Looking forward to watching your progress. That old grill is in pretty good shape
and is a good one get your feet wet with.

Good deal for $60. I am guessing that grill to be 2003-2004 vintage. I notice several of the bars on the stamped steel cooking grate to be out of alignment. Likely there are broken welds on the bars. It is still usuable, but eventually, I suspect one or more of the bars will break weld on both sides and become detatched completely. I would suggest some aftermarket solid rod stainless steel grates as replacements. They can be had for under $50.00. Also, as long as there are no holes in the flavorizer bars, they are fine. Once they go, I also recommend some aftermarket stainless steel replacements.

Good luck on the cleanup and restore. Keep us posted.

That looks like an excellent foundation for a very nice restoration. Sounds like you have an enthusiastic plan for bringing it back to almost new. You will enjoy the process, even if everything doesn’t go perfectly. Then enjoy!

I agree with Bruce on the stainless rod grates and stainless flavorizer bars being good future upgrades. I might also suggest a stainless smoker box. Some good choices on Amazon will fit between the flavorizer bars. Not that you would always use it, but it makes a gas grill a lot more versatile.

Well, if we are already outfitting it with accessories, I vote for a rotisserie.

That looks like an excellent foundation for a very nice restoration. Sounds like you have an enthusiastic plan for bringing it back to almost new. You will enjoy the process, even if everything doesn’t go perfectly. Then enjoy!

I agree with Bruce on the stainless rod grates and stainless flavorizer bars being good future upgrades. I might also suggest a stainless smoker box. Some good choices on Amazon will fit between the flavorizer bars. Not that you would always use it, but it makes a gas grill a lot more versatile.

I would suggest a little pellet smoker made by smokemiester. Did the trick for me after buying the Weber smoker box and grill which needed frequent attention causing temps to yo-yo. At least with the smokemiester, you can keep the lid closed and regulate the low & slow temp. by the gas valves. It doesn't add much temp since it is mounted outside the grill. I've got a brand new rotisserie for my Genesis E-310 still in the box 10 years later since Costco and Sam's Club have rotisserie chickens dirt cheap. Makes cleanup so much easier!

Good deal for $60. I am guessing that grill to be 2003-2004 vintage. I notice several of the bars on the stamped steel cooking grate to be out of alignment. Likely there are broken welds on the bars. It is still usuable, but eventually, I suspect one or more of the bars will break weld on both sides and become detatched completely. I would suggest some aftermarket solid rod stainless steel grates as replacements. They can be had for under $50.00. Also, as long as there are no holes in the flavorizer bars, they are fine. Once they go, I also recommend some aftermarket stainless steel replacements.

Good luck on the cleanup and restore. Keep us posted.

Thanks Bruce! It seems it is a bit newer than I thought it was - nothing wrong with that!
I will look for the tag tonight and figure out exactly what it is.

I thought from looking at the grates that they were stainless, and the seller of the grill said he thought they were.
A few of the individual grate pieces slide back and forth, though. I assumed some welds were broken.
When they break, I will be on the lookout for some stainless grates. If they are not stainless, they will certainly rust apart quickly at the Cape.

I appreciate the advice on the flavorizer bars - my father used the originals in his Silver A until they were practically falling apart before he replaced them with stainless.
I was include to replace them next season simply on the fact that they are ugly, but will wait and avoid the expense.

I have seen others here use the rcplanebuyer bars, so when mine go I will likely turn to a set of his.

Thank you, Jon! I certainly am enthusiastic about it - in my other "spare time" I restore cars, so restoring a grill isn't too far off I'd say.
The plan is definitely to bring it back to new.

The smoker box is a cool add-on and looks relatively affordable.
Unfortunately my wife and my mom do not like smoked meats the way I do, so I doubt I would use it much, but I would definitely try one out down the road, especially on my Silver A I am restoring for my home grill.

Well, if we are already outfitting it with accessories, I vote for a rotisserie.

My f-i-l bought a fancy rotisserie for his Char-Broil several years ago. He says he really wanted it, but he doesn't seem to use it much.
I don't know if I would use it, but the idea of having one to play with is cool.

I would suggest a little pellet smoker made by smokemiester. Did the trick for me after buying the Weber smoker box and grill which needed frequent attention causing temps to yo-yo. At least with the smokemiester, you can keep the lid closed and regulate the low & slow temp. by the gas valves. It doesn't add much temp since it is mounted outside the grill. I've got a brand new rotisserie for my Genesis E-310 still in the box 10 years later since Costco and Sam's Club have rotisserie chickens dirt cheap. Makes cleanup so much easier!

Thanks for sharing, Dan - what a neat little contraption!
I do love a good Costco rotisserie chicken!

Last edited:
Ryan, the Rotisserie in conjunction with a smoker box is ideal. Smoke a chicken on the rotisserie and don't even tell anyone you used smoke. Real smoked meat is tasty as long as you don't over due it and you use a good wood. Apple and cherry are excellent, mild woods that go great with most meats, but especially poultry.

RCPlanebuyer makes super high quality flavorizer bars as well. If you get the grates, you might want to go all out for the flavo bars as well. They are not all that expensive either. A combo order from RCPlanebuyer will allow him to save you some money on combined shipping as well.

Just an FYI the Weber smoker box is pretty lame. Does not work well at all. Honestly just a simple box or even a foil packet placed under the grates on the FB's does a far and away better job. I honestly just use foil packets or little baking tins with foil on the top.
As for your FIL not using the rotisserie on his CharBroil, nuff said (CharBroil) they were not are not set up to do it well so spinning food on them is an exercise in futility

I have a six lb chicken in the fridge right now and later today it is going on the rotisserie for my Genesis 1000. One round of Cherry in the V shaped smoker box and a couple hours later the chicken is done. The last one I made was the best grilled chicken I had eaten in MANY years. I hope this one turns out as good.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002WJIQGW/tvwb-20

Been raining non-stop here in MA lately - no good time to get work done on the grill!

What is the generally accepted method for restoring the plastic tables?

I want to degrease mine at minimum as I think that might be the only step needed to make them shine, but I'm not sure what to use to do it.
My go-to degreaser is usually purple power for old nasty engines, but the stuff is pretty heavy duty.
I'll try some Simple Green with a Magic Eraser tonight on the tables and see how it does.
Will probably use Purple Power and a plastic putty knife for the drip tray.

I did an overall inspection of the grill during a 15 minute lull in the rain yesterday and found the drip pan is not in great shape.
After a minor scraping (of only a small amount of stuff in the bottom), I discovered a couple of pin-holes which I think are pretty inconsistent with the rest of the grill.

The bracket is a bit rusty and I know the brackets have a habit of breaking, so I think an entire replacement is in order. I'll keep the old bracket after repainting it for a backup.
Buying one from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEPH98/tvwb-20

Now I need to get a cover for it.
Who has a recommended cover?
I have been using the Classic Accessories Veranda for my Q300, but I don't know exactly what size will fit the Silver B so I can't order one today.

Ryan, the Rotisserie in conjunction with a smoker box is ideal. Smoke a chicken on the rotisserie and don't even tell anyone you used smoke. Real smoked meat is tasty as long as you don't over due it and you use a good wood. Apple and cherry are excellent, mild woods that go great with most meats, but especially poultry.

RCPlanebuyer makes super high quality flavorizer bars as well. If you get the grates, you might want to go all out for the flavo bars as well. They are not all that expensive either. A combo order from RCPlanebuyer will allow him to save you some money on combined shipping as well.

Bruce - thanks for the tips.

In reviewing the grate market, I'm not sure I can justify the RCPlanebuyer grates versus other options available on Ebay, though I know they are grate quality. (har!)
I will be taking a measurement to confirm tonight and then ordering a set of the rod style, but probably not from him.

However, I think I will be getting a set of his flavorizer bars when the time comes (as I said, probably next season).

Smoker box v. Non-Smoker box seems to be a debate - I'll try out the V one sometime as it doesn't seem to be expensive.

As for my FIL and his rotisserie, I asked him and it seems he has used it, just not when I've been there.
Says he likes doing small chickens on it.
I am a Weber guy through and through, but he likes that CharBroil a lot.
It has that fancy-dancy infrared tech and such and he claims it does a better job than any other grill he has used...

Yah, you don't need all that fancy crap. It is just something to go wrong with the grill.

I roto'ed this chicken two nights ago. On my plain old 25 year old Weber Genesis 1000. You simply wouldn't find a juicier 6lb chicken.

36e9MaV.jpg

DJtXX2y.jpg

c6jxNl2.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed 100%, Bruce!
My Webers work and grill great without any of that crap!

Man does that look good!

BTW - We have the same pattern of dishes.
My wife is an avid Pyrex and Corelle collector.

Yah, I got those at an action about 7 or 8 years ago. They are the same ones we had when I was growing up back in the 60's and 70's. Just like my 25 year old grill, it is hard to find anything better today.

Yah, you don't need all that fancy crap. It is just something to go wrong with the grill.

I roto'ed this chicken two nights ago. On my plain old 25 year old Weber Genesis 1000. You simply wouldn't find a juicier 6lb chicken.

36e9MaV.jpg

DJtXX2y.jpg

c6jxNl2.jpg

Bruce, damn that looks good that would be on my next list but I know nothing about the rotisserie, what model actually works on a 1000 without any mods.

The chicken looks wonderful Bruce.

We have Corelle dinnerware too. Great stuff. I put it in the same category as weber grills, old Gillette safety razors and lodge cast iron. Things that generally last a lifetime and work amazingly well.

Been raining non-stop here in MA lately - no good time to get work done on the grill!

What is the generally accepted method for restoring the plastic tables?

I want to degrease mine at minimum as I think that might be the only step needed to make them shine, but I'm not sure what to use to do it.
My go-to degreaser is usually purple power for old nasty engines, but the stuff is pretty heavy duty.
I'll try some Simple Green with a Magic Eraser tonight on the tables and see how it does.
Will probably use Purple Power and a plastic putty knife for the drip tray.

I did an overall inspection of the grill during a 15 minute lull in the rain yesterday and found the drip pan is not in great shape.
After a minor scraping (of only a small amount of stuff in the bottom), I discovered a couple of pin-holes which I think are pretty inconsistent with the rest of the grill.

The bracket is a bit rusty and I know the brackets have a habit of breaking, so I think an entire replacement is in order. I'll keep the old bracket after repainting it for a backup.
Buying one from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEPH98/tvwb-20

Now I need to get a cover for it.
Who has a recommended cover?
I have been using the Classic Accessories Veranda for my Q300, but I don't know exactly what size will fit the Silver B so I can't order one today.

Bruce - thanks for the tips.

In reviewing the grate market, I'm not sure I can justify the RCPlanebuyer grates versus other options available on Ebay, though I know they are grate quality. (har!)
I will be taking a measurement to confirm tonight and then ordering a set of the rod style, but probably not from him.

However, I think I will be getting a set of his flavorizer bars when the time comes (as I said, probably next season).

Smoker box v. Non-Smoker box seems to be a debate - I'll try out the V one sometime as it doesn't seem to be expensive.

As for my FIL and his rotisserie, I asked him and it seems he has used it, just not when I've been there.
Says he likes doing small chickens on it.
I am a Weber guy through and through, but he likes that CharBroil a lot.
It has that fancy-dancy infrared tech and such and he claims it does a better job than any other grill he has used...

FWIW, it looks like you could get a few more years out of those grates. For the loose ends where the welds have popped, line the bars up and drive in a 3/8th or so self-tapping stainless steel screw into each one. Or, if you have a pop riveter, that will work as well.

Well, this restoration is going to be shelved for the time being.

Last night in separate conversations, both my mom and my wife told me nicely, but firmly, that on our vacation to the Cape for the next 5 days (starting tomorrow), the grill better be there for cooking for all of us.
So, last night I did a good thorough cleaning (after working late and while it poured on me) and prepared it for the trip to the Cape tonight.

First thing first, I disassembled the grates, knobs and flavorizer bars.
Then I thoroughly coated everything but the grates in Purple Power, including the interior of the grill.
Important to note that the grill was thoroughly soaked inside and out due to the near-continuous rain we have had over the last 4 days here in MA.

I scraped it all heavily and made a great discovery: It turns out that this baby has stainless flavorizer bars.
Not RCPlanebuyer quality, but stainless just the same.
What I thought were some holes were just bits of meat/grease stuck to them. In my defense, they really looked like holes.

They will certainly be good for many years to come.

A simple lesson there - always thoroughly inspect things before ordering parts!
I was ready to order new flavorizer bars.
I use this mantra when I am talking about cars and I need to use it for grill parts too.

I completed a heavy cleaning of the flavorizer bars, the inside of the grille, and the drip tray and everything has begun to truly shine almost like new.

I honestly think that with a simple repainting of the firebox and the side panels this thing will literally look like new.

The side trays cleaned up will with a good mix of rainwater and purple power and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
The knobs look brand new again after being scrubbed with a magic eraser and a little purple power.

Tonight before we leave I will put the new grease catcher on (Amazon 1 day delivery is a wonderful thing), put the grates on and call it good for now.

When it arrives at the Cape and it is light out, I will take some photos.

This fall/winter I will repaint it as I wish.

In the meantime, I will be restoring my free-to-me Silver A and I think I may actually take that to the Cape next year, keep this Silver B for my home use, and sell my Q300.
We will see.

I will start a new thread on my Silver A soon.

Last edited:
Anybody out there have a knob of this newer Weber style they'd sell me?
One of mine went missing during transport of the grill to the Cape.
I just cannot figure out where it went, I've looked everywhere.

I secretly kind of covet the black knobs and may just buy those for it and put these newer ones on my Silver A.

Unfortunately after having it light and work fine at my house after cleaning, it would not pushbutton ignite when I got it to the Cape, so I've purchased a new igniter kit for it.
I also discovered that the manifold hooks weren't properly hooked, so when I take the top side panel off to put the igniter in it I will fix those.

It also had an uneven burning problem I'm going to assume is a burner issue, so I need to look at that.

This grill will come home with me at the end of the season and get a little more R and R, then stay at my house and the Genesis Silver A will move to the Cape permanently.

Back