How much can you get for a Spirit?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I saw this Spirit (basically a dumbed-down classic Genesis) on OfferUp:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/524407758/

Looks like about as good as this grill could hope to be. The porcelain flavorizers are a disappointment, but look at those grates! I think they might be rcplanebuyer. It says they are custom.

Anyway, do you guys think that a Spirit, even this nice, can fetch $275?

I don't know how you tell a spirit and genesis from that era apart. To me that looks like a Stopwatch Engineering Genesis. But you see them with Spirit printed on those front containers. I can't see paying 275 for it. Someone might though.

I don't know how you tell a spirit and genesis from that era apart. To me that looks like a Stopwatch Engineering Genesis. But you see them with Spirit printed on those front containers. I can't see paying 275 for it. Someone might though.

Dustin,

I think that in 2007 when they brought out the new Genesis 300, they started using the original 3-burner Genesis frame and hood as a larger size Spirit to accompany the 2-burner (which itself was previously called the Genesis Silver A). The basics are the same, but they took it from a Bel Air to a Biscayne as far as trim and style goes. Note the lack of fold-down tables and the cheaper looking materials.

This one is really, really nice. I would still rather have a real Genesis, but it still would make a nice grill and lot better than a chinajunk big-box store trasher.

Yup, you can tell by:

1) no swing table on the left
2) no "Genesis" label
3) plain burner control panel
4) cheaper looking work table on the left

I've flipped a couple of the 2-burner Spirit versions of this vintage and also owned a 2005 Silver A for a time. These are nice grills.

but it still would make a nice grill and lot better than a chinajunk big-box store trasher.

Is it worth the $$? Probably, sort of. To all of us, we know that grill will EASILY have 10 years of trouble free life in it.
It is head and shoulders above the chinajunk. However, I highly doubt that he can half that price for it. At least where I am
here in KC, there is ZERO demand for Spirits. I am currently looking to flip this 2 year old Spirit for $175

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1957107547920555

and have only had one bite - $100 including a full tank. I declined. For now. :(

Another guy has this one -

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1957107547920555

He told me he would take $150 in the first hour it went up. It still has not sold.
There are others on the page as well that are weeks old and just are not selling.

Meanwhile my 10 year old E310 that I posted at $225 has multiple people wanting it.

Last edited:
Something is wrong here. I think that is a Silver B. Also, Another grill that fails to show the inside of the cabinet. The rehab looks great, but there are some inconsistencies and I am worried about the cabinet. No way I drop $275 for that grill unless it is sporting RCP grates.

If it was a Silver, the leg on the left would have the notch for the swing table to lock into. This one does not have it. It's a 2006-2007 Sprit E-310.

Could very well be. I am not familiar with Spirt in general and not that model for sure.

I found a spirit in DFW on FB that I thought about picking up. Needs new grates but is only $40!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2205616976382950

But if I buy a grill while working on the one I just picked up my wife is going to start asking questions. :)

Guess I am super lucky. My wife is all in. Goes with me to pick up and deliver. Can shine a lid with Simple Green and steel wool,
has helped but on a few coats of spar, prints and cuts Weber logos for handles, and whatever else I ask.

That unit looks like it is sporting RC's grates or something as nice. Honestly if he was smart he would pawn it off as a Genesis. 90% would not know the difference and be very happy with it

Guess I am super lucky. My wife is all in. Goes with me to pick up and deliver. Can shine a lid with Simple Green and steel wool,
has helped but on a few coats of spar, prints and cuts Weber logos for handles, and whatever else I ask.

Yes, you are BLESSED! My wife did endure a pickup across the state because I worked it into a day outing for us. Even though the old beat up redhead was free she refused to get out of the van when we went for the grill and said, “We came this far for THAT!”

It’s ok she doesn’t have to be into grills, and goodness knows I have given her ample reasons to wish they would all go away:eek:!

I hear you Jon. I have to announce and wave the money every time I sell a grill to offset the cluttered driveway and garage.

I got to wave another $270 today....Whooohooo!

When I hauled home my silver A from a neighbor's yard at the curb - my wife and son thought I was crazy. She said " that thing is a wreck and I don't want it in our deck" . Almost 3 years later and she realizes it was a good decision to restore the 2 old webers. Several months ago while we were grilling dinner she said "you were right these weber grills just work better". I think she would draw the line at two though.

At two on the deck or two over all??? :)

Yeah, spreading them out helps! Fortunately, my wife seldom ventures into our far side yard, an area protected by a fence from the neighbor who only winters here anyway. It makes a good place to help a few projects go under the radar:cool:.

At two on the deck or two over all??? :)

Two overall. :) And to be honest I really don't have a desire to own more than two.

Lately I've been thinking I'd like to find a red genesis 1000 and restore it with nice stained wood slats. I love some of those I've seen on here. That would mean giving up the Silver A though. And I really like it. My son helped me restore it.

Give the "A" to your son and then announce, "Dang, now I need a grill, perhaps a Genesis 1000 Redhead". Win/Win.

Dropped from $275 to $235...Buy, Changeout and Flip?????

I see the price already dropped to $235. I am starting to get tempted. If those are really RC grates, I would just lift those for myself:eek: and replace with a set of the Amazon ones, change out the Spirit items with some Genesis parts I have in abundance (including a Genesis Silver badge), paint the handle and knobs black with my Krylon Fusion for plastic, and shazam! you have a beautiful Genesis Silver;). If the seller would come down to $195 I could probably recover the majority of that easily and wind up with RC grates for almost nothing. Am I getting too crazy?

p.s. I would not at all want to be deceptive (and in fact I would disclose my upgrade to potential buyers), but if the only difference between the grills are the trim parts, why can't I replace them and turn it into a Genesis?

Back