Tri Tip and Eggplant Parmesan

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I pulled a 2 lb. Tri Tip out of the freezer yesterday morning. Decided on baked potatoes and some Eggplant Parmesan to go along with it. Here's the photos.

enhance

Rubbed down with some Big Rick's Jalapeno Honey Mustard and Cattlemen's Tri Tip Seasoning. Set it aside until later.

enhance

Quite a bit of work for the Eggplant Parm. Aside from the obvious, ingredients include garlic, red pepper flakes, Kalamata Olives, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

enhance

Began mixing the sauce. Pulled the basil sprig out after sauce was done.

enhance

Let it thicken for around 10 minutes and then stirred in the butter.

enhance

Got a little salt and pepper on the eggplant and got it on the grill.

enhance

Flipped at 4 minutes.

enhance

Got the spuds on.

enhance

The eggplant needed about 30 minutes to get all hot and bubbly.

enhance

Got the Tri Tip on right after that.

enhance

Checked the IT after around 20 minutes and it was 160!!!! Boy, did I screw up. I don't think I've ever had one jump that fast. Oh well. Bleep happens.

enhance

Parm done also.

enhance

enhance

On the high side of medium well. Uggg.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

Actually, everything was delicious. The Tri Tip surprised me. Thank gosh it was prime meat. Medium Well and I don’t get along. Flavor was wonderful and it was very tender. Won't get caught napping again, especially on a 102 day! That Cattlemen's Tri Tip rub is outstanding. The Eggplant Parmesan was delicious as well. It's good to be cooking again. Hope you are all having a great week. Thanks for looking.

All lookin' guud from start to finish. Great plated pic!
We will be so glad when the weather cools down. *93 here today.

That looks wonderful Cliff, I've had a TT do that to me but I wasn't as lucky as you were, mine hit 170, the dogs loved it.
We haven't cooked out side for a week or more except for using the NG gasser for oven duty. Not going to stand by a hot grill when it's 106 and so humid the air looks like light fog at 6 pm. Sure be glad when it cools off.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful plate!! I love tritip but it is typically difficult to find around here.

Last edited:
At 160, my peeps would have yelled "it's almost ready!" :rolleyes:

It's good to see a recent post; I hope all continues well for you in Redding.

Back